Dealer unable to program airbag module

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Over 3 weeks ago my First Edition went for the software update from 1672 to 1896, mainly to fix the SOS fault.

I was told later that day the car needed a new airbag module (which I was somewhat expecting, reading other experiences) and it would be about 8 days to get a new one, and was told words to the effect of "you don't call us, we will call you"

3 Weeks later and still not hearing anything, I give the dealer a call and get through to the workshop manager, who's now telling me they are unable to program the new airbag module to the car. It's been on their so long that it is now apparently not on the job sheet and they only look at it when they have some spare time.

They've opened a case we SEAT technical UK who has told them it's their diagnostic equipment. They then proceeded to tell me they are in contact with the manufacturer (who was mentioned as SEAT Spain) of the equipment and are waiting for them to fix an issue meaning they are unable to program this module in the MK4 Leons. They will try another diagnostic computer tomorrow, if they have 30mins spare!

Now it could be weeks or months. I'm not at all impressed and feel like it is an excuse.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had similar issues or even if the diagnostic equipment explanation has an ounce of truth.

I was under the impression that dealers would use the diagnostic equipment provided by VW, this makes it even harder to believe that it can't program an airbag module which I also assume is used in many VAG group cars.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I've heard every kind of reason and excuse from dealers, some of it is even true. In your place I'd ask for a hire or loan car until yours is returned, if that is refused then mention to them that you are going to investigate how to reject the car (this is possible even after the six month period but not easy) - that might improve their attitude.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Assuming it’s that specific dealer’s incompetence or dodgy diagnostic equipment that‘s not up to the job, why not ask for your car back and take it to another dealer who can hopefully sort it for you? - and hopefully in much less time than the three weeks the current dealer has had your car.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Further update after a call from the technician working on the car. They have been able to update and program the airbag module, this wasn't the issue. After updating the module the airbag light remained on and they have been going through all the modules in the car rerunning the programming/parameters.

Module 9 the Central Electrics, is returning a German error in odis and SEAT technical advised them to contact the manufacturer (quicksmart? I heard), waiting for a response from the factory. Unable to give any timeframe at all.

Luckily I was given a 2022 Ibizia FR sport

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Honestly nothing will surprise me anymore with SEAT UK franchise. All is just pile of mess! You can contact executive office for complain and you won't move anywhere. Pile of apologies and that is it apparently they not responsible fo their franchise 🙄

Visited two different services Caffyns and WJ King both feedback negative, damage on car and wouldn't accept it apparently such a small imperfection! It's my car and i haven't paid penny for it so i do care about my property l.

Worst experience honestly, two Ombudsman cases and if that won't go well follow up on court i just had enough.

2Pedals

Sep 8, 2021
Honestly nothing will surprise me anymore with SEAT UK franchise. All is just pile of mess! You can contact executive office for complain and you won't move anywhere. Pile of apologies and that is it apparently they not responsible fo their franchise 🙄

Visited two different services Caffyns and WJ King both feedback negative, damage on car and wouldn't accept it apparently such a small imperfection! It's my car and i haven't paid penny for it so i do care about my property l.

Worst experience honestly, two Ombudsman cases and if that won't go well follow up on court i just had enough.
I have to say, my local dealer was very good, albeit a few niggles that I am ultra-fussy about (I always ask them not to wash the car due to paint marring, but they still did it). I guess I have been lucky purely by chance as they ended up changing so many parts prior to the software update, it appeared to work (although there were still issues to resolve). As it stands, the car appears to be working fine. However, it has taken over a year of ownership to actually have a car that does what it was supposed to do, which has left me feeling almost nervous about what might go wrong next!
It's a shame as the spec on paper suits me perfectly (especially based on current fuel costs as it is excellent for consumption vs power).
I totally agree with your sentiments regarding SEAT UK, they are worse than useless and the exec team are arrogant and dismissive at best. It got to the point where I gave up even communicating with them (and they ignored my final email) as they did nothing in terms of helping the situation. This put all the pressure on to the dealership, which as I say, did their best against a terrible support structure (I should add that the SOS was just one of the many faults with the car)

All of this has resulted in me regretting buying the car and will never go near a SEAT ever again.
Dare I say it, I wish I'd bought a Focus ST-Line X rather than this!

I wish you luck with the ombudsman (keep us up to date with the outcome)

GenericSeat

Oct 29, 2021
UK
I’m in a similar situation but it’s only been a few days. The airbag modules kept “blowing up”, so they have a third one now. They got each modules the day after they ordered them, so they aren’t on back order, and it sounds like the dealership are telling fibs.

Maybe we should bring a class action suit against Seat?

Deleted member 123864

I’m in a similar situation but it’s only been a few days. The airbag modules kept “blowing up”, so they have a third one now. They got each modules the day after they ordered them, so they aren’t on back order, and it sounds like the dealership are telling fibs.

Maybe we should bring a class action suit against Seat?
This isn't America.

Deleted member 123864

Collective Action. However, that was slightly more serious

GenericSeat

Oct 29, 2021
UK
I shall await news of your high court proceedings with bated breath so. :rolleyes:
What’s ticking about this is you taking a flippant comment, in a roundabout way pointed out the vernacular, and here we are…using emojis. What a wonderful contribution.

The fact of the matter is the ombudsman will likely do very little; at the most it will lead to mediation between Seat, Seat Finance (if applicable) and the franchisee. You may get some compensation, but you may as well jump directly to the process to refuse the car.

A class action [sic] may seem like a far-fetched route, but it isn’t a completely outrageous consideration. There’s continuing evidence of consistent issues with customers’ cars, including other models, that show very little progress towards resolution.

Will a suit like that win? No, but the majority of lawsuits aren’t brought with the intention of actually going to court and winning. In the majority of cases, going to court is the worst outcome for both parties.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
After 8 Weeks finally go the car back the dealer, they ended up ordering another airbag module which worked this time. Don't think the dealer had any idea what they were doing always waiting guidance from SEAT technical. I would have thought if the first module didn't work to try another one, but instead they spent weeks blaming their diagnostic tools insisting it was the central electrics module and not the airbag module.

Currently have an open complaint with the dealer and SEAT, complaining to SEAT was recommended by the dealer. Will see how this turns out...

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I would recommend also open complaint to Motor Ombudsman later as Seat won't offer to you anything just pile of nonsense

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise