Dension iPod Connection

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Dension iPod Connection or iTrip?

Hey,

I've been reading up on these and it seems like they have alot of negative feedback.

I just have a few questions really,

1. Are people still having problems with them skipping 2 tracks when you try and skip only 1?

2. Would i be better off buying an iTrip? Although i know the sound quality isn't as good.

3. I used to have an Alpine headunit that had an iPod connection. This displayed all the track names up on the screen and meant that you didn't have to physically touch the iPod to change tracks, it was all done through the headunit. By using the Dension Connection, i'm guessing you change tracks using the iPod?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

roderrs

Nov 3, 2006
ive got an itrip its not to bad better than nuthing cant see the point in payin the price for the cable.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I also have an iTrip and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. It detunes all the time and it refuses to tune into 90% of the cars I use.

roderrs

Nov 3, 2006
i havnt had any trouble with mine it crackles now and again but thats about it.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I'm not sure what to go for, i was set on the Dension connection but i did a search on here and it seems everyone has problems with them!

My friend had an iTrip and his started messing around and fuzzing too.

roderrs

Nov 3, 2006
which one is it i have the griffin second gen one it only fuzzes wen i go into a dip over than that its fine.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I know it's a Griffin one he has but not sure which generation.
I will try and find out.

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Looking at your signature, are you not running a Mk2 Ibiza anyway? If you are then you have the single DIN setup, so i'd personally go back to the Alpine head unit with the iPod connection.

I've got the Dension kit and i think its good. Yeah there is an issue about it skipping every to every other song / playlist. but you get used to it.

I'm currently getting support from Dension about this anyway, just need to provide them with some details of my head unit and the model no of the kit i'm using and they think they might be able to sort something out.

Because the Mk3 doesn't have the capability of the single DIN slot for a conventional head unit, i opted for the Dension kit to utilise my iPod over the iTrip / other FM transmitters as it is better quality. I'm not in the mood at the moment either to have the single DIN conversion done that i've seen on other mk3's. I like mine the way it is.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I have the Mk3 dash in mine, and would like to keep the Mk3 headunit as it is, as i'm not too keen on the single DIN conversion. The quality of the Alpine headunit was really good and that's why i was looking to get the Dension kit as i know the sound quality with the iTrip isn't as good.

I think i might go for the Dension kit and just put up with the track skipping, i'm guessing that it goes back a track okay?

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
I have the Mk3 dash in mine, and would like to keep the Mk3 headunit as it is, as i'm not too keen on the single DIN conversion. The quality of the Alpine headunit was really good and that's why i was looking to get the Dension kit as i know the sound quality with the iTrip isn't as good.

I think i might go for the Dension kit and just put up with the track skipping, i'm guessing that it goes back a track okay?

Depends how far you want to push it. I'm the "well i paid for a working kit and its not working so i'll get on the blower to Dension" kind of person. Hence why i keep emailing them.

BUT the track / playlist skipping of two tracks works both ways. BUT (again) say you have tracks 18, 19 and 20. If you listening to 18 and want to skip to 19, it won't. It'll skip to 20. If you skip back it'll skip back to 18 again, but if you allow 20 to start playing for say a second and skip back, it skips back to 19. Hence why i'm trying to sort it with Dension. Then again this could just be an isolated case with mine alone. I think that makes sense :confused:

I don't want to put you off getting one as they are good pieces of kit, its just how much you are willing to put up with it. :shrug:

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Yeah i understand what you are saying. I searched earlier and it seems everyone is having the same problem.

Out of interest, where did you get yours from? Is it something i can get from a main dealer?

Thanks for your help!