difference between fr and cupra ?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
silly question but what is the difference between the Leon FR and a Leon Cupra ?

What's the difference between an Audi S3 and an Audi A3 S Line?

What's the difference between a Golf R-Line and a Golf R?

What's the difference between a BM4 M4 and a BMW 4-Series M-Sport?

If you can't figure those out, you're lost.

Hint: The FR is a trim level. The Cupra is THE performance model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexpowell1

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
Everything.....honestly it is.
The interior, the styling, the drivetrain, many of the underpinnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Before I drove the Cupra, I had a test drive in a Leon FR 150PS.

The FR is a very competent car which has excellent roadholding and is reasonably fast for everyday use. In fact my son's A3 has exactly the same engine and I find it to be an excellent car also.

However, when I drove the Cupra, the difference was amazing. The power, torque, roadholding, handling, brakes, seats and everything else were all another level, or two, up from the FR.

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with an FR, but don't take a test drive in a Cupra. There will only be one outcome!

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I was only thinking earlier that I bet the FR is a cracking motor. I've not driven one, but it is probably all you really need on our roads, if we are being honest. Sure, there'll be lots of folk (including me) with the Cupra who think they need nearly 300bhp in a family car, but the opportunities to use it are relatively rare these days. I look back on the MK1 Octy VRS 180bhp petrol I had a while ago and that was a feisty, surprising and enjoyable package, perfectly acceptable and quicker from A-B across country than most regular things. I'm dead happy with my Cupra, but I bet I'd love the FR just as much and be able to drive it harder more of the time in the real world.

I'm not swapping, though, before anyone asks ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
woa Jacupra280 I did say it wasa silly question but one which I have been intrigued about.
thank you perfect g, cuprobie and Ronnie bagel

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
My reply might have been a bit abrupt. Apologies.

I did answer your question though: The FR is a trim level. The Cupra is THE performance model.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Get an FR and you will be shunned by society. Your wife/girlfriend/partner will leave you. Soon you will be homeless, jobless, potless, shirtless etc. Living in a cave eating gruel and pond water. Shunned by everyone. How can you prevent all this? Get a Cupra. Women will fall at your feet ( or men, equality time! ) You will be treated like a king and have riches beyond your wildest dreams. Easy peasy. :D

ggs mk1 fr

Jan 9, 2014
Sheffield
I own a mk1 fr & it's standard engine wise miltek exhaust from cat back 70cm r-tech uprated tip ram air induction air filter forge diverter valve ebach front & rear springs front mount intercooler I have a 13 year old and a 8 day's old new born baby now you may not like the fr but it depends on what you want to do with one. Feel me ✌

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Don't worry about Jacupra he has a biased name anyway. FR maxes out at 184bhp cupra is 290(300 on upcoming facelift)

Cupra has adaptive suspension as standard FR does not
Cupra is more fancy inside, sportier seats, cupra decals, normal stuff you'd expect on the top end model. It also has dual exhausts and makes farting noises however my FR Titanium came standard with spoiler and skirts that the cupra does not so yay to that. The car you purchase depends on its use, if you like visiting petrol stations, driving quickly and have an asbo get a cupra, everything else, get an FR*

*no offence intended I'm obviously joking and was looking at replacements for my FR next year thinking cupra/R/s3/a250 but I love my 184 for the time being

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Don't worry about Jacupra he has a biased name anyway. FR maxes out at 184bhp cupra is 290(300 on upcoming facelift)

Cupra has adaptive suspension as standard FR does not
Cupra is more fancy inside, sportier seats, cupra decals, normal stuff you'd expect on the top end model. It also has dual exhausts and makes farting noises however my FR Titanium came standard with spoiler and skirts that the cupra does not so yay to that. The car you purchase depends on its use, if you like visiting petrol stations, driving quickly and have an asbo get a cupra, everything else, get an FR*

*no offence intended I'm obviously joking and was looking at replacements for my FR next year thinking cupra/R/s3/a250 but I love my 184 for the time being

Yeah don't mind me :lol::lol: I'm biased :rolleyes:

Like I said, FR is a trim level, Cupra is its own distinct model and top of the line. You don't get better than a Cupra right now. No R in sight.

Last edited:

ggs mk1 fr

Jan 9, 2014
Sheffield
It's fine I'm saving up for the new golf r or a evo Mr next but that's in time to come as my current car is still pulling like a train.

ggs mk1 fr

Jan 9, 2014
Sheffield
Lol BenHarris3 I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to own a car at that sort of bhp

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Lol BenHarris3 I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to own a car at that sort of bhp

I went from a 120bhp corsa to a 184 FR, feels like a train to me and is the perfect step up from what I had previously but I'll definitely be investing in the fast petrol market when my lease is up

ggs mk1 fr

Jan 9, 2014
Sheffield
Yeah I went from a corsa c 1.4 Sri lol.
I've had my fr for 4 year's just about never let me down though it gets used but not overly used the only down side is the road tax lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.