Dissapointed - Leon FR

illustrious

Converted Beezer lover..
Apr 5, 2005
Worcestershire
It's all a matter of personal taste.
I personally like the interior of my FR & never doubted it when I test drove.
The only thing I don't really like is the stereo screen - big clumsy digits that don't scroll smoothly.
On the plus, the seats are my fave bit & I do like the dials a lot, especially the illumination at night.
If everyone liked the same cars, the roads would be a boring place! :D

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
Im still a little worried about the firmness of the ride. Fun car but will i feel the same after 2 years?

Im also still struggling with colour choice. Everyone around me says Zenith, but my heart says Crono.

matth1j

I wasn't a fan of black, but wife insisted. And I'm glad she did now.

I also find the ride firm and dash a bit plasticky, but the overall package (paid for with my own money) more than makes up for it. I don't think even an Astra/Focus from a broker can match the combination of performance, looks, practicality and kit for the same money.

I was chatting to an old bloke the other day in his new 318, and he was going on about the dual zone climate, 6 speed box and a few other things. It was ok, but I didn't have the heart to tell him I paid 6 grand less for the same things, plus an extra 70bhp. :)

John
Black Magic FR TFSI

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
I wasn't a fan of black, but wife insisted. And I'm glad she did now.

What would have been your choice of colour at the time?

You are right, It is a lot of car for the money, and although im not technically buying the car myself, I've had to look at cars that i wouldn't mind paying extortionate company car tax on, overall the Leon is well worth the Tax i will pay and as you say it has a higher spec than most Executive cars.

matth1j

What would have been your choice of colour at the time?
I thought that the red as used in most of the brochure pics IIRC looked pretty good, and I liked the idea of saving £350(?) by not going metallic. Wife pointed out that we already had 1 red car (Yaris) and red garage doors, so no way.

Also liked the yellow, another money saver, but agreed with wife that we were probably too old to get away with that. Plus I see that as a Cupra colour (although others don't, judging by the poll that was posted here recently).

To be honest, none of the metallics grabbed me.

John

illustrious

Converted Beezer lover..
Apr 5, 2005
Worcestershire
I would have to say go for yellow. I love mine to bits.
As for the ride quality, it can be harsh on country lanes / minor roads especially with the 18" wheels.
But on motorways / dual carriageways the ride makes it feel like you're in a tank running on rails (but a hell of a lot quicker, of course..lol)
With passengers onboard you might find yourself apologising once or twice!
That said, the handling round corners and real sporty feel of the FR makes it worth every mile you drive, in my opinion.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Im still a little worried about the firmness of the ride. Fun car but will i feel the same after 2 years?

Im also still struggling with colour choice. Everyone around me says Zenith, but my heart says Crono.

If its a company vehicle and you'll be doing quite a few miles Zenith has the advantage that is still looks good when things get a bit dirty :)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Update.

I did think about the BMW 1 series. But i think its in the same boat as the golf. You need to spend far too much to get what you want, and currently the diesel engine is only kicking out around 140bhp with a 0-62 of 10?.
I have however heard a rumour that they are changing all the engines in april with a new diesel engine expected to kick out 128mg of CO2. If that happens it may be worth it, but i will have to order before then.

QUOTE]

At the moment you get a free upgrade from base to ES or ES to SE/Sport which has all the toy's you need. Lease costs may of been similar due to residuals. When I went for mine I could have a 120d SE for the same price a month as a Leon FR TDi. Yes the engines are being upgraded as follows from May build:

116i 115bhp no change
118i 129Bhp to 143Bhp
120i 150Bhp to 170Bhp
130i 258Bhp No change

118d 122Bhp to 143Bhp
120d 163Bhp to 177Bhp

As for the car best handling in it's class build quality is good but not as good as the A3 But a firm ride and a few minor niggles that effect most 1 Serie's sticking door handles and squeaks from door seals that need lubricating every now and then.

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Question for mklock - how on earth do you get a 3 day test ride? :D
I'm also in the period for choosing the next one and will need to test drive one soon.

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
WIth some difficulty. The dealers seem to think its easy, they say just ask your company to ask the lease company and bobs your uncle.

In reality, well mine anyway, i was told that the lease company were doing us a one off favour and dont expect too many of these.

But if you don't ask, you dont get. I think my firm were new to the whole idea and worried about taking the mickey.

i've also got a 3 day test drive from Vauxhall in a few days, which is simply a matter of filling in a form online in the fleet section.

What cars are you looking at?

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
What cars are you looking at?

FR is top at the moment but would like to try a vRS Saloon but I went to the local dealer and they said no where had a demonstrator!

I might try and push for an A3 but it would be down to my Director to approve so I may need to do some more sweet talking!

hengel

I Drive Golf V's en Jetta's all the time and really dont see a hug quallity difference between the VW and the Leon II FR. The last time i took some time to compare the two but really cant find a huge difference in quallity. The dash design is somthing you like or you dont however.

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
New to the forum and was very interested to read mklock's post. I too am about to change company car and am about to (I think) plump for the diesel FR.

Currently drive a 2003 Golf GT TDI (130hp version) which is almost at it's 4 year point and I'll need to replace it. My company basically gives us 10% of our salary to spend on any production car - each one has a monthly rental and we can of course supplement from our salary if the rental exceeds the 10% amount.

I have to admit I have loved the Golf and wanted to initially replace it with a new GT (the 170hp diesel variant) - totally sold now on running turbo diesels. However the monthly rental of the GT compared to mine is up by about £70 so I started to look around for alternatives. These are the cars I test drove:

Renault Megane 150hp DCI
Quite simply the most tedious car I have ever driven in my life. I was allowed a 3 hour drive on my own, and wanted to give it back after 3 minutes. It was fast in a straight line but horribly dull to drive, no feel in the steering, woolly around the corners, really hopeless compared to my old Golf.

Ford Focus 136hp TDCI Titanium
A lot of good reports about this, so I was looking forward to the drive. I found this car to have good steering, good brakes, good ride, good dash, etc. Overall then it was... good. But I would compare it to a packet of Tesco Ready Salted crisps. It had no soul. And it looks like a real sensible family car.

Seat Leon 170hp FR TDI
Got in the drivers seat and thought, 'Oh dear', it reminded me of one of those sports Subaru cars I guess because of the seats and the dash. I thought the dash was quite horrid with the grey plastic and the cheap looks of the aircon and stereo. But then I drove it. From the first ten seconds I was totally hooked - this car has a real spirit, is very fast and has great exterior styling. Plus, the standard kit is really excellent when compared to rivals. I currently have a Sony MP3 CD player with full 32bit colour graphics and video etc, and to see the atrocious standard player in the Leon made my heart sink (also noting it's non-DIN shape thereby stopping you easily replacing it). But when you drive this thing, you realise quickly what is really important.

So then, I think I will opt for the Leon!

I have a few questions however and wondered if any Leon experts out there might be able to assist with:

- Someone on one of the threads spoke of an 'aluminium look trim pack' which really improved the dash, but I cannot find this option anywhere in the brochure or on their web site. Does anyone know about this or have any pictures?

- I also found out that you can now get an option for a Tomtom connection, ie you just plug your own Tomtom unit onto presumably a connector on the dash, and it feeds it with power and routes the voice through the speakers. Again I cannot find this shown in any options so do not know the cost etc.

In response to the debate about 3-day test drives, I also tried to get a longer session than 30 minutes, but got into almost an argument with the dealer who said that I would have to prove that my company would buy the car from them before I could be allowed such an honour. So the best I could organise was a short drive but at least just with my wife (less the sleazy dealer leaning between the headrests trying to engage me in thrilling conversation about intermittent wash wipe functionality).

All the best

Mark

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I have the interior trim but its only for the speaker surrounds and door handles on in the front and back. I've not seen a dash kit yet. My pics are in the gallery under 'my new fr'

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Mark

Will post details of the Trim Kits as a seperate thread for you, so others can use the info as well (could be a little hidden in this thread).:)

Rob

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
Hi mark,

In theory choosing a company car should be reletively easy, but when it comes down to it, its bloody hard. Perhaps not as hard as actually buying one but its still a pain

After whinging about the leon to start with, i have opted for one.. This discision was largely influenced by the amount of standard kit available.

1 day before i had to order a car, i did manage to get vauxhall to let me have the Astra SRi 150BHP Diesel sport hatch.

I wasn't hoping for much from it but i actually found this car to be better than the VW Golf in terms of drive. I had much more fun in this than the golf by a mile and serious considered getting one. I think Vauxhall are upping their game finally. There is of course cheap plastics but this is the new cool" PLus the sport button is so much fun! turn on, turn it off, turn it on....Its great (Simple things :redface: )

THe reason i didn't plump for the Sri was due to the blu tooth kit. The Vauxhall bluetooth kit replaces the drivers drink holder and Vauxhall reckon that you need a cradle that they don't supply or know who does?. (I managed to pair the phone without a cradle, shows what they knew) this seemed a lot of hassle.
There was also a matter of me wanting the extra body kit and i couldn't afford it.

But seriouisly id have a look, i was more than impressed as my previous experience with Vauxhalls have been depressing.

I am in no way trying to put you off the leon, as i say i ordered one. I think the main benefit of the Astra was its ride which was better than the leon in terms of comfort.

Im glad you tried the Megane, it was more an after thought with that one and thought i should have tried it, but you have put my mind to rest now.

What i have ordered :funk: ,

Seat Leon FR 170
Crono Yellow
Convienece Pack
Winter PAck
BLue Tooth
Car Mats
Additional Boot Tray
Armrest
18" Alloy Wheels

This was ordered through Lex Leasing and will cost (I think) £350 per month based on a 60k miliage allowance over 3 years which includes maintenance.

I think car tax will be around £80:-o which i believe is £20 more than my current leon.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.