DIY Door Trim Painting *Finished*

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Well ive seen the Aluminium effect door kits, but didnt want to pay the money for it:p

So ive gone and uncliped the handles and the speaker covers, masked up the grilles and they are now ready for primeing/painting.

Im starting with the rears, in case i mess it up.;)
Two coats of grey primer then im using Vauxhall Star Silver. (This paint is a match for the dash inside of Civic's, my old car)

Will post up photos once i finish the primer then once complete.

I know its not a proper Aluminium effect, but hopefully it will brighten up the dull interior.
Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Ive seen people paint the dash, but anyone tried this with any luck??

Edit:
Ok so ive primed the rear covers and handles.

DSC03263.jpg

DSC03264.jpg

DSC03265.jpg

Going to leave them over night before rubbing them down and painting them.

Last edited:

b9rgo1234

Oct 18, 2008
ive done the same. it makes a big difference, i dont know why they dont include the rear handles in the kit. :confused:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
It can only look better than the trim kit as it's cheap plastic tat that doesn't wear well, not that I'm miffed at forking out for it or anything and tearing it off...

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
I know the handles may get scratched over time, but atleast i can just rub it down and re-paint again.

Yeah, that got me too, no rear handles:confused:

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I have the Alu trim kit fitted to my Cupra front and rear (you can cut the strips to fit the rear).

I didn't buy it as the previous owner had fitted it. Anyway, after having a Alu kit in my old car (FR TDI) and it wearing easily, I got a local graphix company to cover the strips in clear plastic film to stop them wearing. Only cost £10 for the lot.

Maybe worth getting your painted items done mate when you are finished to stop them getting scratched etc.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Ive got laquer if i want to but i felt that it would give a high gloss finish which is not really what im looking for...

Im unsure, i will see how they look after spraying this evening.

S2TTB, im sure i recognise your user name, did you used to own a Civic EP2?

Ok so i have given the handles three coats of paint so far, and the speaker rings have 2.
The finish is was i was expecting/looking for, so i dont think i will lacquer them after all.

DSC03269.jpg

DSC03270.jpg

DSC03271.jpg

Last edited:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Ok so the back doors are completley finished now. Left them with two coats of primer and then three coats of paint. No lacquer.
I need to get another tin of paint before i start on the front handles.

Really happy with them, cheap and easy to do and have a good effect!

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03281.jpg

DSC03282.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

All i used was hot water to wash the at first, a quick rub down with fine wet and dry paper.
Two coats of Halfords grey primer, and then three coats of "Vauxhall Star Silver" paint.

Looks the part!

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Superb job :clap:
When Im selling the alu door trim kits, I always warn people that they are expensive for what they are, although they do brighten the interior no end.
After 15k miles, my drivers door trim is scratched to blazes, plus its bent underneath where my ring caught it :( And I thought I was being careful!!!!!!
Another case of you guys teaching us dealers something - until recently I didnt even know those bits came off, never mind were available separately from the door trim and they are very cheap!!!!! :redface:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Heh, it was worth it indeed, wouldnt call it hard work though!
Hardest part was masking off the speaker grilles! Cut the masking tape in position with a stanley knife then pushed the tape into the gap evenly.

Bought another tin of paint today to do the front strips, although im not going to have a chance to paint them for a while yet!

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
Ive got laquer if i want to but i felt that it would give a high gloss finish which is not really what im looking for...

Im unsure, i will see how they look after spraying this evening.

S2TTB, im sure i recognise your user name, did you used to own a Civic EP2?

Ahright cool, just the paints probably pretty easily scratched especially on the door pulls... you'll soon find out no doubt anyway :lol:

Aye , guilty as charged with the civic...cosmic grey, black rotas!

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
speaker grilles are approx £8 each, door trim strips are approx £20 each.
good to know in case you damage one when you are painting :)

Are they?
My local dealer quoted £40 for a rear one I broke! So I never bothered.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.