DIY hardwire dashcam installation

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Think I had a false sense of security with the rubber seals as every other car I've worked on they come off and go back on really easily (MG ZR, Volvo C30, Focus, Fiesta, Mazda2 etc.)
Managed to get most of it back into place with the aid of a rubber mallet but it doesn't sit as nicely as it did originally which is annoying, luckily on the passenger side so I'll live with it.

Tried the camera out this morning and mid-way through my journey DAB cut out. Disconnected the camera power et voila it came back.

Just wondering if others who had the same issue also had the GPS mount for the camera? Going to try without using the GPS mount power on the way home, straight into the camera and see if that works.

Also did do the Mobius install initially but the lens extension cable seems to have failed right at the last step as I was tidying up the cable run :cry:

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Tried the camera out this morning and mid-way through my journey DAB cut out. Disconnected the camera power et voila it came back.

Just wondering if others who had the same issue also had the GPS mount for the camera? Going to try without using the GPS mount power on the way home, straight into the camera and see if that works.

Also did do the Mobius install initially but the lens extension cable seems to have failed right at the last step as I was tidying up the cable run :cry:

You know now don't take the seals off, ha ha ;)

Which camera?

If you eliminate the GPS try another power source, ie direct to usb socket if using a converter.

The Mobius I couldn't use in the rear, because it cuts out DAB and most FM because I have the antenna in the rear screen.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Mini 0805, no better without the GPS mount :(

Next would be swapping the 12v-5v unit for a cigarette lighter adapter as I read elsewhere those cause a lot of EMI

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Mini 0805, no better without the GPS mount :(

Next would be swapping the 12v-5v unit for a cigarette lighter adapter as I read elsewhere those cause a lot of EMI

That was the cause for me. I swapped the out 12v to 5v converter for a cigarette lighter socket and dual cigarette adaptor (I have two cams in the front) still hid them in the same place.

BUT make sure the cigarette adaptor is a decent one. Cheap ones give the same issue. I use a Tom Tom one, about £20 but you know the saying you get what you pay for.

Now I only get DAB cut out very rarely where anyone would, not just in a lower signal area. Like me if you drive though a low single area you find this issue!

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
With the nextbase hardware kit you get some sort of lead core or something that goes over the power cable close to the camera which is supposed to stop interference???

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
With the nextbase hardware kit you get some sort of lead core or something that goes over the power cable close to the camera which is supposed to stop interference???

A Choke or Ferrite core, they can help. I tried all sorts at each end of cable/cables. No help :(

As I say the better quailty equipment the better.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I have the mini 0805 up front with GPS mount and have no dab/FM interference whatsoever. Sorry, not much help but as above, could be the cable used or routing of the cable?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I have the mini 0805 up front with GPS mount and have no dab/FM interference whatsoever. Sorry, not much help but as above, could be the cable used or routing of the cable?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

That is a possibility also but unless the signal become weak you won't notice. I had to keep changing things and then wait to drive in the same areas to test. So annoying.

Although for my mini I'm still using the cable you use.

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Just fitted a Rexing V1 to screen behind rear view mirror. No GPS. Just using std power lead for now whilst I test it but got Nextbase hardwire kit to fit for permanent install.

Happy with recordings and DAB fine on 2 x 1 hour journeys yesterday but had DAB drop out 4 times on regular short journeys today. Never happened before so v. disappointed as its obviously causing interference.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Just using std power lead for now whilst I test it but got Nextbase hardwire kit to fit for permanent install.

I suspect this is the issue, googling what is supplied. The good news is I think the Nextbase hard wire kit is a good one.

Try any other usb lead/adaptor combination that you have around to see any difference.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Not got the same cam but I have one hardwired in and never have issues with dab reception. Do you have front and rear cameras?

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Fitted the Nextbase hardwire kit with the supplied Ferrite core around the power lead 20cm from the camera as instructed (just got front camera). Good news - no DAB dropout now when driving same route. Bad news - quality of recording has got worse to point you can't read number plates of cars passing you ! Have to try removing Ferrite core and see what happens. PITA as took a while to tape to cable, cover to prevent rattles and then tuck under headlining.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Fitted the Nextbase hardwire kit with the supplied Ferrite core around the power lead 20cm from the camera as instructed (just got front camera). Good news - no DAB dropout now when driving same route. Bad news - quality of recording has got worse to point you can't read number plates of cars passing you ! Have to try removing Ferrite core and see what happens. PITA as took a while to tape to cable, cover to prevent rattles and then tuck under headlining.

Bad luck. Can't see how a power supply can effect the video recording quailty of the camera thou!

Assume swapping back to anything other than the Nextbase power supply it records ok?

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
Certainly better quality today when switching back to cigarette lighter lead. As you say can't see how power supply would affect it though. Going to have a drive swapping between the two on same road at similar time to check if its related to lighting conditions and camera's ability to adjust to them before playing with cables.

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Certainly better quality today when switching back to cigarette lighter lead. As you say can't see how power supply would affect it though. Going to have a drive swapping between the two on same road at similar time to check if its related to lighting conditions and camera's ability to adjust to them before playing with cables.

Also check earth point of hardwire kit. Swap circuit hardwire kits uses. ...

Johnny Leon

May 17, 2005
So, after adjusting a few settings and lots of driving I'm happy with the quality using hardwire kit. TBH the main issue was that the dashcam mounting arrangement was allowing the camera to vibrate on poor road surfaces and/or at certain speeds. I've put a couple of adhesive backed black foam pads onto the camera so when it slots onto the windscreen mount the camera is braced against the windscreen. You can't see the pads from inside the car and they're masked by the dotted area of the screen from the outside. Good set-up for £62.

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just fitted a wireless charging pad in the cubby hole in front of the gear stick using the exact same method as the orginal poster :).

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Just fitted a wireless charging pad in the cubby hole in front of the gear stick using the exact same method as the orginal poster :).

Cool. I have one there but just with a lead back to the cig lighter. Curious how that cubby comes out.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise