DIY Jobs & Skill Level

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
A few jobs need doing on the Cupra, I'm looking to do them myself to save a few bob on labour.

I need to replace the front wheel bearings, change a CV boot and replace the front engine mount.

Thats about it really, the cars going to be out of action for a week whilst I have the Brembos properly refurbished, so will have a while to do it.

I know the bearings need to be pressed out, so im going to take the carriers to a garage to have the old ones taken out and new ones pressed in.

Im just wondering if these jobs were achievable for a novice like myself.
To give you some idea of my mechanical knowledge, iv replaced the suspension system on a Fiesta, changed a rear wheel bearing on a Fiesta, changed discs & pads on the Cupra.

What do you guys think? Do you think ill be able to carry it out over the space of a week, or should I just play it safe and pay a garage?

Also, do I need a special tool for the retaining clips on the CV boots?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Nah you should manage fine with the knowlege mentionesd above,

i would prefer to use cable ties for the cv boots as the jubilee clips are crap and can break easily and slip off.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Cheers willz.

Well, looks like I could be attempting it sooner than I anticipated.... A LOT sooner. I barely made it into work thismorning.

Drives with all the characteristics of a shot CV joint, but the brakes feel dodgy aswell... so its thrown me on what it could be.... Looks like the cars going to be grounded here until I can sort it, as it feels quite dangerous to drive.

If its the CV joint im going to be quite annoyed, I took it into two garages to have the CV boots checked out when I found myself cleaning green grease out from the inside of the alloy. Both garages told me the boots were fine, and couldn't explain where the grease came from :-o

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That looks to be the one that is just a straight swap on the stub axle? Wheel off, brake off, nut off, bearing off, reverse to finish.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
That looks to be the one that is just a straight swap on the stub axle? Wheel off, brake off, nut off, bearing off, reverse to finish.

Thanks mate,

Yeah im hoping the bearing comes off with the hub, so I can just whip off the old one and stick the new one on.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't suppose either of you knows what torque those bearing nuts need? I'm tempted to get mine swapped over, but I just cannot track down the torque setting.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members