DIY timing belt change

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I used that guide when I did mine. It's very useful - the method for transferring marks between belts is spot on. I found it was easiest to take the engine mount out. With a bit of manoeuvring of the engine on a trolley jack, it's not difficult.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I used that guide when I did mine. It's very useful - the method for transferring marks between belts is spot on. I found it was easiest to take the engine mount out. With a bit of manoeuvring of the engine on a trolley jack, it's not difficult.
Yup when I changed my engine mount I moved the coolant bottle, power steering pump and the charge pipe out of the way and dropped the engine down as low as needed to get the old mount out and the new mount back in, it was no bother. I think you did a write up about it jsu before I did mine and I remembered this, thankfully.
I plan to change my oil pump so looks like I'm going to take this on at the same time, I'll be well crapping myself with this one.
Onward and upward:)

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
The only thing i would say is that instead of starting the car once you have finished, jack up the front and with it in gear turn the wheel by hand to make sure everything is as it should be, no untoward resistance or metal on metal action inside.

Andy

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Good points guys keep them coming
Perhapswe could have this as a sticky or put into the servicing/maitenance section for all users

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
"Chaz well - I did it today. not to bad. took me about 7 hours in total but all went well. am happy with the result!"

7 hours not bad, its all the preparation work that takes the time, same with most things on cars.

You have any problems with it?

TimJK

Audi Techie
Jan 10, 2009
Norwich
www.eacruise.co.uk
Yeah that was a little harsh of me i suppose as its your first time, its just the hassle of getting the mount and coolant, power steering etc out of the way to access the belt that takes the time.

Chaz

yeah - it was my first time. no real problems doing the job..

Was a bit of a fiddly getting the upper cam cover off.. just lack of space really. The other issue I had was afte I removed the enging mount and bracket, I couldn't get the bracket out and just had to wiggle the old cam belt out and the new one in.

Also, itwas a little difficult to find the little hole in the tensioner to keep that slack...

no major issues though just a few bits that took longer that I would have hoped.

Chaz

I did undo the enjine mount and the the bracket from the engine... but, I couldn't get the bracket out of the way.. I tried to lift the engine up and lower it down but I still couldn't get it out... not sure what the limits are for lifting and lowering while its still attached to the other mounts etc.

TimJK

Audi Techie
Jan 10, 2009
Norwich
www.eacruise.co.uk
What you wanted to have done was, put a jack under the engine and undo the dog bone mount bolts, then jack the engine up and gives plenty of space to wiggle the mount out :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.