DIY Wishbone Bushes

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
At the weekend when Hooch was fitting my wilwoods he noticed that my wishbone bushes were starting to perish. Now half my trouble when fixing things on my car is that im not to sure where/what stuff is if i know where to look and what to do i dont mind having a pop, so would replacing the bushes be somthing that are quite easy to do? or would it be better that i got a mech to do it? Im really keen to have a go at stuff myself but id rather have things right 1st time so usally pay sombody that know what there doing to do it.

Any hints tips are truly welcome.

Cheers David.

Feb 25, 2007
stroud
they should be straight forward but problems can occur ive done a few at work i come to do mine and both bolts snapped off in the subframe both sides which is a right pain pay some else to if goes pete tong then its there problem

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
May aswell put some powerflex bushes in the front and rear wishbone bushes.
This is what I did with mine when the wishbone rear bushes started coming out the wishbone.

Word of waning buy new pinch bolts for bottom ball joint to strut, as both mine sheared and were very well seized in the bottom of the strut. Although a nice 4lb hammer, a punch and copious amounts of wd40 got them out lol.

Also I'd be tempted to buy new anti roll bar drop link to wishbone bushes, washers and nuts as the ones on there won't be very good, and again chance of drop link shearing when undoing the nuts, as one of mine did.

If you decide to do them and want anymore pointers let me know.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Thought you needed a press to put the rears in?

I was advised to use audi TT rear ones as they last longer than the poly ones and are solid rubber. Bonus is they are cheaper aswell.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
No you could put the powerflex bushes in without a press, a vice would be suffice. Only really need it to get them started then they push through. Originals then yeh a press would be a big advantage.

Not sure about the TT bushes fitting never tried. But they don't work out to much cheaper only about £25. I paid £70 for all 4 front wishbone bushes.
Then about £10-15 for the new genuine drop link washers, bushes and bolts and £21 for a new drop link as it sheared on removal.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
TT ones do fit. TTS fit them all the time. They said polybushes wear quickly in the front wishbone rear bushes on ibiza in their experience aswell. They are about £15 cheaper depending on where you buy the TT and polybushes from.

Alot of people dont like polybushes because they dont press in like the originals do.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Cool thats good to know about the TT bushes, will have to bear in mind if the polys go in the future. Got my polys from TTS aswell.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.