dodgy cold starting

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
ok since I been getting in car when its been stood about 12 hours or so first thing in a morning when its been -2.5c its taking about 4 seconds to fire maybe more I do wait for the glow plug light to go out and it goes pretty much instantly to be honest. I just tested the glow plugs pulled harness of and set my multimeter to 200 ohms started car and plug closest to cam belt was reading 02.4 the middle 2 got nothing at all from and the one furthest away was reading same as first one 02.4 :confused: are the middle 2 screwed then? but the other 2 readings seem high? am I doing something wrong here :confused:

thanks, lee.

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
AFAIK it doesn't really matter what resistance you're getting, as long as it's a similar figure across all four plugs. If you're getting an open circuit from the middle two plugs, they could be dead, although I'd have expected an EML on. This does depend on the car though, not all cars have the right wiring to detect faults with individual glow plugs, and you don't say what you drive.

Get it scanned for faults, and if you have the right socket set and extension bars, take the plugs out and test them on their own with your multimeter, I never had any luck testing mine in-situ with a multimeter as I'd get impossible results.

Hi mate thanks for reply. Its a Leon tdi110 2001, I am not very clued on diesels but if 2 glow plugs were dead wouldn't the car run rough or something? it runs ok once engine is started. I'll try take the middle to plugs out and test them.

lee.

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
I had three glow plugs die before and no warning light. The glow plug light also went out instantly. Replaced the set and it started straight away. When its cold the glow plug light stays on for around 5 secs. If it is really cold I normally flick the ignition on 2 or 3 times before starting and it fires straight away.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Recently I've found that takes a good 5 - 10 seconds for engine to start if I turn ignition straight away.

But if I just turn it so the battery is on, the glow plug light stays on for 5 seconds or so, then when that's turned off I start the engine and starts fine straight away!

Not sure if that means my glow plugs are on the way out, or if they just need extra time to warm up a bit when temperatures are below freezing?

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
That's alright then :) I was sure it was just the glow plugs needing extra time to warm up. But had mates, and even people on here saying it could have been the battery!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.