Dodgy starting (maybe a ghost)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Hi everyone. I thought I'd ask you lot before i go and get ripped off at a garage. I have a very strange starting problem. Basically after i drive my ibiza for over 3 minutes and than i switch it off; if i am to start it up again straight away than it starts.BUT if i am to leave the car switched off for about 3-20 minutes, it just wont start.I turn the key and it makes the usual starting sound, but it wont ignite. After i wait about 20 minutes tho, it starts first time again. I just don't get whats wrong with it. If it were the starter motor, than it wouldn't start at all,right?? Why doesnt it start JUST in the 3-20 minutes time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
well i have just checked the spark plugs, distributor cap and the COIL and i have found out that there are no sparks being created from the coil during the 3-20 minutes time-range. But now i am not sure whether its the COIL itself or whether it can be the ECU. Because dont understand how the coil would work perfectly when the car is running, and than when i'd stop, it stop as well and than start working again. On the other side im not sure whether its worh it paying £25+Vat. for a Vag-com scan, and than £45/hour for diagnostics. Anyone ealse had this problem. Anyone near Petersfield or Alton with their own Vag-com ;) Cheers

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well just been to the garage and got the car scanned on Vag-com, so £30 later . . . . . . and i still dont know wats wrong with it :( Now im gona have to try and test the coil itself (somehow) and see whether that could be the problem or not. Oh well, guess thats part of owning a car.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sorry - missed this

Vag-com on the ABD engine is crude. it won't pull many faults up at all (lambda sensor was the only one mine ever pulled up in 3 yrs & 70k)

Sorry - was a waste of £30.

However - if you can't get any sparks, from any plugs. Check the dizzy, HT leads, then if they're OK - and it sounds like they will be - it's the coil.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
just get a second hand coil mine only cost me £20 or just borrow one off someone you know with an ibiza... if any, if it isnt the coil take it back (cos thats what i did) its only a couple of bolts and probably small enuf to fit in a ladys handbag at a scrappers... not encouraging anything... or encouraging carrying ladys handbags

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
im goint to have a search around for a second hand coil, problems is there are not many scrap yards in my area.

Jango1968: if i throtle the engine whilest starting, it does nothing, just floods the engine. And after the 20 minuted of waiting all the built up fuel just backfires and i get some nasty popping sounds.