Door rubbing strip removal

xswiftyx

Does anyone know how these come off as I want to sand down and colour code them.
On my astra you just pushed them forward and they popped off...
Or are they bonded on?

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
They are stuck on, with some holes in the body, and lugs on the trim to line it up.
You will need some trim tape to put them back.

xswiftyx

Ok cheers. 3 of the 4 are smooth already. Not sure if someone has attempted to smooth them already.
Can you buy the smooth ones ready in pirmer? If yes do you know a rough cost?
Cheers

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
They will look pretty rubbish if you just paint them as the painted ones are not textured and come in smooth primer.

I painted mine on the car and "Rubbish" is not one of the words that came to mind when i had finished them, in fact they looked really good, and a fraction of the cost of the £100 odd pounds it costs to buy the new ones.:)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Each to there own mate, I'm doing mine soon and having painted loads over the years at work I'm going for the smooth ones as I think they look better....guess its just personal taste :)

ell0070

Feb 28, 2006
Jersey, Channel Islands
I painted mine on the car and "Rubbish" is not one of the words that came to mind when i had finished them, in fact they looked really good, and a fraction of the cost of the £100 odd pounds it costs to buy the new ones.:)

Did you sand them at all to remove the dimples? Would that not be a bit tricky without taking them off? Or just build the primer up a bit to smooth out?

My dealer has quoted me £40 each for the front door strips primed, and £25 for the rear ones!!!!!!! Also told me that you cant get the bumper ones pre-primed. I'm planning to have a go at the bumper ones first to see how it looks, as they're fairly easy to get off.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Did you sand them at all to remove the dimples? Would that not be a bit tricky without taking them off? Or just build the primer up a bit to smooth out?

I masked them off ( this is easy as there is a gap due to the sticky thing holding them on and you can slip the masking tape down behind the door strip) I used a filler primer and sanded each strip down by hand then painted them, total cost around £20 :D

I did wonder if any leons in europe came with colour coded bumper strips???

I have just come back from spain and all the leons i saw ( and there was alot )had painted bumper strips and door strips.

Last edited:

xswiftyx

Sod buying them. I have some filler primer already to will sand, paint then sand again. The whole car is getting sprayed anyway so mistaken sandage wont be a problem :)

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Mines were already painted when I got the car and they do look good.

A word of warning though, first someone opened a door of their car onto mine and I lost a chunk of the paint from my drivers door strip. Then this weekend whilst parked in Asda I got back to the car to find someone had clipped my rear bumper, again taking a chunk of paint clean off and back to the dimpled black plastic [:@]

I suppose the good thing is they did their job and protected the bodywork but will now need a bit of work to make them look good again.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Cheers Phil. Sounds like that's the way forward:funk:

Is there a specific filler primer for plastic, or will any one do?

No Nothing specific to plastic, the normal one works very well, i did mine about two years ago and apart from where some kind person opened their door in to it its all as good as new. :)

ell0070

Feb 28, 2006
Jersey, Channel Islands
No Nothing specific to plastic, the normal one works very well, i did mine about two years ago and apart from where some kind person opened their door in to it its all as good as new. :)

Cool. That will be my job for the week. I'll try and get it done before next week-having my wheels blasted and powdercoated next monday. Still not sure whether to go matt black or semi gloss satin......:think:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.