Door Seals ?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Sorry to hear that :(

Have you replaced the old inner door seal with butyl strip? I had terrible leaks in mine but it sorted it out.

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
Yes, mine was replaced when I had the door lock changed. But clearly was done badly, as its never been the same since

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
I noticed when I did mine that the previous owner (or garage) had tried to do one of the doors with bathroom silicon sealant! Took longer picking it all off than it did to do all the other doors.

Cuppyjoe

Sep 15, 2018
This thread always fills me with anxiety, ha.

At some point I am going to revisit my front passenger door as it was bodged with bitchimin! Imagine the horror of removing that. Obviously my first attempt has not cured it, plus need to do the rear doors.

If I can sort it then the rest of the car is so spot on. If not, I also may consider selling

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Scuttle panel does not fit flush to the windscreen no way no how , its fitting nicely fitting at the end but not the middle, I think its time for the rtv. Other than that all the scuttle bits are back together , lets see what happens tomorrow as its supposed to rain quite heavily.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So stripped both drivers and passengers doors today , another night of heavy rain saw the swimming pool back. Interesting findings were found.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I've redone my doors many times, the last time with butyl tape which seems to have sorted it. If the door seals are leaking then you can normally tell by water on the black plastic on the door sill. The water should run through drain holes in the bottom of the door. These drain holes are hidden in the rubber seal running along the bottom of the door. They often get full of dirt so it's worth cleaning them out, either with a blunt screwdriver or your finger. If the door seals are working correctly you should never see water on the inside of the door sill when you open the door.

If the water is coming from under the dash it's likely to be from the Scuttle. The scuttle cover is not a seal, it just hides the mess that's in the scuttle and stops large stuff (leaves etc) getting in there. Passenger side leaks are normally the pollen filter, drivers side could be from the bonnet release or the electrical connector box in the scuttle. This is one shown in the cruise control guide. I fitted cruise control to my car and this box has a plastic cover that stops water getting under the dash.

If the water is still coming under the dash, take the bottom half off and see if you can find where the water is getting it. A handy way to try and find where is using talcum powder. You can then see which bits have been washed away.

Reactions: mty12345 and Zardoz

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we still have a leak, the butyl rubber around the door inner panel fix appears to have worked so no leaks that way, the passenger foot well is dry only the drivers side seems to be leaking from the scuttle down into it. So although I sealed that electrical connector box thingy, its the only place water can be getting in.
So I have obtained some talcum powder (unscented !) and will try that approach ..................failing that its into a field with a can of petrol.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
There aren’t many entry points in the drivers foot well. Shouldn’t be anything coming through the steering rack or pedal box, since they go to the engine bay. The windscreen is bonded in and don’t normally leak, but worth a quick check.

My guess would be the bulkhead around the bonnet catch. The drain from the scuttle is in that corner, water runs behind the wing and exits behind the front wheel.

Unscented? That’s the boring way to do it!

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
There aren’t many entry points in the drivers foot well. Shouldn’t be anything coming through the steering rack or pedal box, since they go to the engine bay. The windscreen is bonded in and don’t normally leak, but worth a quick check.

My guess would be the bulkhead around the bonnet catch. The drain from the scuttle is in that corner, water runs behind the wing and exits behind the front wheel.

Unscented? That’s the boring way to do it!

Well I didnt want the car smelling like a tarts bedroom .....but on the other hand "don't knock it till you try it"

Interesting that you the bonnet catch , how do you seal that ?

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Thankfully I haven't had a problem with the bonnet release leaking. But I do remember reading about it recently ish, not sure if it was on this forum.

If it's leaking from that area then do some searching for leaking Leon/MK4 Golf bulk heads. It seems to be a common problem, worst case you may have to remove the wing. But it bolts off so not as bad you'd first think.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we still have a leak, the butyl rubber around the door inner panel fix appears to have worked so no leaks that way, the passenger foot well is dry only the drivers side seems to be leaking from the scuttle down into it. So although I sealed that electrical connector box thingy, its the only place water can be getting in.
So I have obtained some talcum powder (unscented !) and will try that approach ..................failing that its into a field with a can of petrol.

Have you got your hand in under and right of the pollen filter housing? It gets full of decaying vegetation. And blocks brainage holes. I’ve just had my arm in side mine. ( cuts your hands up as there’s very little room. )
Scraped out loads of sludge and then flushed with a kettle full of boiling water.
Mines stopped leaking now.
Builds up on the other side too.
2b684ec6dd6eabba29e1d6bc82c6df1a.jpg
620dcae026c15c9f66278eb6a96e2e9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.