Dose the Cupra Ateca have wet clutch

car767

Nov 4, 2022
Hi I'm looking to buy 2018 -2019 cupra Ateca but I want to know if it's a wet clutch dsg or dry clutch. Aslo can someone tell the gearbox code name.

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
The Cupra Ateca has a 7-speed wet clutch DSG , with Launch Control (if you feel you need it 😉 😉 )

A few more specification details are here.

I don't know the Gearbox version code but will try and look it up later.

Guy

PS> You also get an Akropovic exhaust. 😁 😁

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using Tapatalk

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I was under the impression that the Cupra Ateca had a dry clutch DSG. I can't remember where I read that. In the article linked by @Bahnstormer_vRS the only reference to wet clutch is with regards to the 4Drive system, not the DSG.

EDIT: @Bahnstormer_vRS was right. It's the DQ381 DSG which is wet clutch. I've obviously been having a senior moment 🤣

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
It's the DQ200 what the fuss was about. They swapped to synthetic oil then went back to mineral oil which fixed it.

Now they wouldn't fit that to a Cupra since it wouldn't be strong enough for the engines on Cupra Ateca's. According to Honest John ex Telegraph its safe on a 1 litre but anything above and there are issues. Think you find it on 1.5 litre normal Atecas and people on boards wanting to chip their engines for more power. Truly stupid on that gear box. You would get rumbled when the gear box broke.

The DQ200 is on our little Arona with a 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine, no problems. DQ381 on the 2 litre diesel which is wet.

If you are buying one second hand or want to know the components parts in the car (build codes) a useful trick is to photograph the VIN on the windscreen. Spend £8 on Erwin. Link on the Ateca standard thread on how to do it. Download the VIN lookup. The workshop manuals are there plus the dealer training material (SSPs). You might need more than an hours time. Depends how quick you are. Two will do. You get all the technical material.

Also a discussion here with a table of the gear boxes.

A Google on DQ200 turns stuff up like this:

Basically 1 litre on the DQ200 you are fine. Anything above 1 litre to 2 beware probably a DQ200 fitted. Above 2 litres they don't fit them.

I did pick up Honest John when he was rubbishing them on Seats once, I pointed out it didn't tally with what he'd previously said about 1 litre and DQ200 being fine. He agreed 😉. He said in an email to me that he still gets complaints above 1 litre with the DQ200 fitted but not on 1 litre ones. Cupra big engines will be fine 📌.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.