Double din conversion

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
I recently purchased and installed the original Seat double din sat nav centre console...I have a couple of questions about this if anyone can advise me...

1) Do you need to leave the metal cage attached to the back of the centre console or should I remove it??? I ask this because in other peoples pictures I have seen it has been removed. Also, in order for it to fit, I had to cut a section of it off as in the dash on the top left hand side there is a white plastic thing which has something to do with the climate control which was preventing the centre console from going into the dashboard.

2) Does anyone know the correct part number for the console with ashtray??? I am referring to the handbrake/gear stick console with ashtray. I have a Leon Cupra 2004. My local main dealer is not sure of the correct part as they have quite a few listed.

3) Does the console I am talking about in question 2 require any extra screws or is it fitted exactly the same as the original one? If anyone has a guide with pictures for fitting this, it would be much appreciated.

In case you are wondering what head unit I am fitting, I have purchased but am now returning a Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB. I am returning it because I am going to purchase the new AVIC-F77DAB in March when it is released. This is because of the inclusion of Android Auto in the new head units which will not be available through a firmware update to older head units due to hardware in the headunits.

Please, someone, I need help asap, I want to complete all of this before I purchase the head unit in March!!!!!

:confused:

Leon1600s

Once a 1600, now an LCR
Sep 17, 2011
Berkshire
The Metal cage bolts to the car first then the plastic console goes on top and has four screws which go into the metal cage from the front. By the white plastic thing I'm guessing you mean the cylinder below the left of the middle air vents in the pic below? This is the temp sensor for the climate control with a motor/fan and tube to the front of the console to draw in are from the cabin. This is moved to the bottom of the console and the tube goes to the right hand side of the console.
Untitled by Andrew Richardson2014, on Flickr

I don't know the part number for the lower console but it uses exactly the same fittings so original screws can be used.

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Oh no LOL, I fitted it with the metal cage attached and didn't move the temperature sensor anywhere. I cut off a piece of the metal cage that was sticking out of the side in order for it to go in. I couldn't see anywhere inside the dashboard for it to bolt to anyway. The original single din metal part wasn't bolted anywhere either, it just came out once I unscrewed everything.

When I had it out, I couldn't see how to take the temperature sensor off where it was mounted, let alone where to remount it. Looking at your pic, I still cant see where that would be relocated to.

I also purchased a new tube from Seat, which the shop that is installing the head unit said they will fit, however, I cannot see how it will reach the temperature sensor. Now I know why...the shop is also going to extend the climate control sensor wire as that is too short now as well.

I wish I knew this before I chopped a piece of the cage off. Is the cage actually required to fit a double din head unit? I tried to put the Pioneer F60DAB in just to see how it looked and the hole was just slightly too small for the head unit. Does that mean the head units cage isn't required or is the cage attached to the console not required? Or...is a thinner cage for the head unit required??? Am I making sense here???

Do you have or know where I can find a guide to changing the lower console?

Nowhere in London has any idea about any of this and the places out of London that know about it are way to far to travel to have it done there...

Leon1600s

Once a 1600, now an LCR
Sep 17, 2011
Berkshire
It mounts onto the plastic console at the bottom of the upper console. You can just see it in the picture below...

Untitled by Andrew Richardson2014, on Flickr

The metal cage is required, the cage that came with your head unit will be very tight so it doesn't move or vibrate when driving. Mine took a bit of persuading to go in.

Lower console is straight forward.

Remove the bit of trim below the handbrake
Remove the rear ashtray (open it and then it just pulls out) then remove the two torx screws beneath
Remove the 4 covers and torx screws further forwards on the console. 2 on each side, aprox inline with the gear stick and the other is further forwards again
Remove the gaiter from the lower console. Just inside the rim at the back there is two clips which you you can feel through the leather, push them together and it will pull out. Leave it attached to the gear stick
Remove fuel filler cap and TCS buttons (Push up from beneath and then disconnect from behind)
Remove the OBD connector as this is relocated to the bottom of the upper console (has to be installed before the upper console is secured to the car)
If you have an armrest, remove that too.

That's everything which holds it in. The gaiter will push through the hole in the console when you start lifting it out. It is tight between the front seats and is a lot easier if the upper console is removed too.

Refitting is the opposite but you need to connect the Cig lighter.

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Thanks for the info :)

Just thought I would give you an update...unable to add any pics though, I havent made enough posts yet apparently :(

I just received the Pioneer F77DAB this afternoon, im probably one of the first people in the country to have one, found an amazing supplier who got their stock early...Shame its not in my car yet lol

I am now waiting on Seat for the lower centre console in order for my car to have an ashtray in it, hopefully it should arrive end of this week early next week. I will be following the steps you wrote above, hopefully everything will go smoothly :)

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Ok, im having the headunit installed tomorrow :) The wait is over...
The place doing the install are going to help me with the lower centre console and also removing the centre console again in order to fit the lower centre console. They will also be extending the cigarette lighter wire and climate control wire if it isnt long enough (as I mentioned earlier, I didnt relocate the temp sensor so I think the wire wont be long enough)
Im not fitting an internal dab antenna, im changing the roof aerial for either a Hirschmann or a Calearo DAB, probably the Calearo as the Hirschmann is impossible to get hold of. Im probably having this done at the start of May.
Also today I removed the Cd changer and fitted the filler tray to replace it, I actually have a useable glove box now lol
Fingers crossed tomorrow all goes to plan, ive actually had enough of the whole ordeal and just want it done now.

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Ok, im having the headunit installed tomorrow :) The wait is over...
The place doing the install are going to help me with the lower centre console and also removing the centre console again in order to fit the lower centre console. They will also be extending the cigarette lighter wire and climate control wire if it isnt long enough (as I mentioned earlier, I didnt relocate the temp sensor so I think the wire wont be long enough)
Im not fitting an internal dab antenna, im changing the roof aerial for either a Hirschmann or a Calearo DAB, probably the Calearo as the Hirschmann is impossible to get hold of. Im probably having this done at the start of May.
Also today I removed the Cd changer and fitted the filler tray to replace it, I actually have a useable glove box now lol
Fingers crossed tomorrow all goes to plan, ive actually had enough of the whole ordeal and just want it done now.

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Ok all installed...looks fantastic...just have one problem now...

...the gear knob gaiter doesnt fit the hole in the lower centre console :(

Does anyone know the part number for the correct sized gaiter from the lower centre console with ashtray???

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Did you get this all sorted including the gaitor?
I'm about to do this conversion on my FR and want to make sure I've got all the bits before I pull it apart.

Last edited:

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Yes :)

It was a mission, but I got there in the end...

Unfortunately it seems I still cant post pictures, so I cant show you.

What have you done so far?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
You need 15 posts before you can add links and photos.

I haven't touched it yet but I've got the complete double din dash console and the correct lower centre console.

I was hoping to keep my original FR gearstick gaiter as its in good condition and I like the grey plastic surround.

When I looked at vagcat / etka there's mention of a bracket behind the dash but I'm not sure if I need it / have it already?

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Your gaiter will not fit in the new lower center console, its too big.

I think the bracket you speak of is the metal one which comes attached to the upper centre console. I took this off as it really restricts the room you have when fitting the head unit.

I found it wasnt really required, also without this metal bracket you do not need to relocate the (I think its called) temperature sensor unit. You just need to extend the temperature sensor wire as on the double din console its on the right rather then in the middle.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
So the metal bracket should already be sitting behind my single din now?

The double din set up I've bought has the rubber climate pipe, sensor and fan already attached to it so my plans are to install it all as it was intended from the factory.
But yeah, I should imagine a few cables might need a bit of reshuffling or even extending.

So did the gearstick gaiter surround need modifying or did you buy a different one from Seat?

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Im a bit confused with what your saying...

You said you have already bought the bits, so you should be able to see the metal 'bracket' I am referring to. Maybe a better word is cage. Its attached to the double din upper console. There isnt one behind your single din.

If your talking about something else, I have no idea what it is and im quite sure whatever your talking about isnt required as I didnt purchase any metal bracket.

Also, im not sure why you spent money on parts already in your car, I.e. The sensor and fan. The fan just gets relocated from top left to bottom middle (if looking at the dash) and then the sesnor will reach its new location, all you need is the rubber climate pipe. The relocation of the fan is how it would of come from the factory. However, you dont need to do all this, just dont fit the metal cage attached to the back of the double din upper console, then just extend the sensor wire so it reaches its new location and then the climate pipe can be cut as appropriate to make it fit as appropriate. This is much easier then relocating the fan as there isnt much room in there and is a mission to fit it as it sits at the bottom of the metal cage attached to the rear of the double din upper console.

Another mission is fitting the lower console as the cigarette lighter wire will need extending and its a fiddly job to get it in.

You cant really modify the gaiter as its a different fitment. You should be able to see this 'if' you have the new lower console like you say. Just pop your gaiter out and look at the clips and the lower console, then look at the new lower console. Your existing gaiter is 1) too big and 2) a different fitment. So even if you cut a bigger hole or chopped the clips etc, it wouldnt fit. However, im sure if you really wanted to make it fit, you could do some bodge job lol

And yes you will need to get a different one from Seat, which will be a nightmare to get the correct part number.....trust me on this.

Last edited:

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Also, depending on the colours you want (as you mentioned you like the grey surround) the gaiter will cause you grief due to you liking this colour, so be prepared to be disappointed.
Seat dont make all parts once the car is more then 10 years old...as im guesing is yours. So they will have one part in one colour as oppose to a choice of variations, you will find this when you come to buy your gaiter.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'm not sure about the ''cage'' you mention, ill take a look at the bits again when i go to the workshop tomorrow.

Basically i bought all the bits i thought were required from a guy breaking a Toledo V5 a couple of weeks ago. The fan, sensor and pipe came attached without me even asking about them as i just expected to transfer my original items. I can't really complain when i received the upper and lower consoles with switches and drinks holder for a mere £60 including postage. :D

At the end of the day I'm in no real rush to get it all fitted as ive still got to muster up the cash for a suitable head unit so i'll collect everything up until i feel happy with whats going in.

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Get back there asap and get the gaiter!!!! LOL

Just 3 more posts and I can put pictures up :)

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Parts I have already...

1386238a8930fd7e812bf5c2ed8ce6fd.jpg

bebe2aa96532d2879c87418f8c7bdcc7.jpg

GMAN79

Feb 6, 2015
London
Same as what I bought from main dealer.

See the upper console, at the back there should be a metal cage thing, kind of like what a stereo slots into except its nearly as big as the console. I wouldnt recommend fitting this, that way you dont need to mess around too much. I didnt even have to take the passeneger and driver side dash off to fit mine.

Edit...
From looking at your pictures it doesnt look like its there

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members