Downpipe and race cat, Confused, which one?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hello all,

I have read pages of posts on this topic, but I am actually more confused than when i started.
All my mods are listed in my sig below, next I am planning on going to stage 2 and i am going to start by getting a 3" downpipe and race cat, i currently have a Blueflame cat back, but the downpipe and race cat are about €700 in Ireland:(:(

What downpipes can i get to match the Blueflame cat back? are there other makes that are more reasonably priced but still good that can work with my blueflame??

Thanks

JamJay

California Bound
I have a PipeWerx one waiting to go on. The manufactured quality looks very good indeed and alot of people rave about them. The one I have to fit is going on an OEM cat-back though so the gains won't necessarily be as great as a straight through system or enable me to go to Stage 2, but none the less, I'll stick a review in my RR.

andycupra

status subject to change
just bear in mind where you are mixing and matching that you need to check they are going to match up ok.

Downpipes and race cats are not cheap. Blueflame tends to be towards to cheaper end of pricing for these.
Piper are another option, very nice quality.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Cool, so its PiperWerx of BF.
I called BF and they can do a 3" DP with 100cell race cat with 20g loading(whatever that means) for €595 delivered to ireland, nice.

I take it this should see me to stage2?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Hmm, BF just told me a 100Cell Race cat would pass and MOT in the UK, (someone may be telling pork pies).

i do however need to find what our regulation prohibit in ireland.

JamJay

California Bound
It might do if you give it a thrashing before the MOT and really warm it up but alot of people on the Civic forums that I used to be a member of, had a few problems with getting them through with the odd one or two making it. The guys with 200cell used to go through fine and that's what I have opted for to be safe.

JamJay

California Bound
Loads of people have passed MOT's with a 100cell cat without problems.

Might be fine on SEATs then :), I was talking about ghetto 1992 B16 VTECs :lol:

I don't think a 200cell will be restrictive at all, if you take a look inside an OEM cat, you'll see how much more free flowing a race-cat is. When you get one, have a look down the tube and you can almost see out of the other side behind the fine mesh inside. TBH, I don;t know what the fundamental differences are between 100 & 200cell, I guess perhaps just less restriction/less mesh?

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
You wont see any issues with a 200 cell and there is nowt in it as far as being more restrictive

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Coola boola, i think i will go for the 200 cell, i don't want to buy a 100 cell cat, get it fitted and then fail the MOT and have to have it removed.

I have my Pre Mod Dyno next week, gonna order the BF at 2.00pm today and fit it next week, when it is fitted i am booked in to get a stage 2 map and hopefully should see some improvements as fair as a nicer torque/bhp curve.

Do i need any other mods for the stage 2? i think i am pretty much covered!

JamJay

California Bound
You're all set after the cat-back! Now just moniter the torque curve on your print out, you already have alot and I wouldn't be comfortable pushing it much further without changing the rods. As Stage 2 is supposedely custom, you should be able to get the mapper to control this for you.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
You're all set after the cat-back! Now just moniter the torque curve on your print out, you already have alot and I wouldn't be comfortable pushing it much further without changing the rods. As Stage 2 is supposedely custom, you should be able to get the mapper to control this for you.

Yeah, i realise i am tight on the torque figures alright, i will mostly be looking for a smoother torque/bhp curve.At the moment i get a big surge and then it tails off, actually after 5000rpm i cannot make requested boost.I will be looking for a more preogressive map and hoepfully with all the modes be able to hold boost a bit better further up the RPM range.

FYI, just ordered this kit off Nigel in BF, went for the 200Cell cat and 3" DP.:funk::funk::funk::funk::funk:

10-12 days delivery time :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.