Dreaded overheat!

everitt1980

Weekend runabout
Aug 15, 2008
sheffield
Was out in car last night and noticed that the temp needle had rissen. so i slowed down and pulled over. the needle dropped down slightly so released pressure on the expansion tank to see the water was bubbling. Have been reading the threads on here and it sounds like the water pump. Is there any way to check this is the case? Don't think the thermostats go on the vag cars too often but was hoping this was the case and wouldn't have to do a cam belt change. Looked throught the service book and say's the cam belt was changed 20,000k ago but doesn't say whether the water pump was changed or not.:confused:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
If the needle drops when you slow down, it is generally a good sign the water pump as gone.

Thermostat is a doddle on these, just under the alternator.

BIG.D

Sounds like you water pump, when mine went I had the same probs as you, id get it checked out asap, water pumps are notoriously bad on VAG cars, i had my Ibiza and Leon both go within 6 months of each other. Good luck !!

everitt1980

Weekend runabout
Aug 15, 2008
sheffield
The car has done 111,000 now, i have accepted the inevitable started stripping the car down today to change the water pump and cam belt etc... It's a right bitch to get to. Gonna cost around £130 for all the parts, cam belt was only done 20,000 ago but looks like the gits never changed the pump or if they did put a crappy plastic one back in.

everitt1980

Weekend runabout
Aug 15, 2008
sheffield
Well got the job done. Stripped the car down and took the water pump out to find the crappy plastic impellor had detached itself and dispersed into 6 pieces. got a new shiny metal one in there now and all seems well. Fingers crossed head gasket is ok.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.