Drivers Door Lock Bust

PhilNeo

Got an October '87 Cordoba 1.6SE. Went to unlock the driver's door on Saturday, and the key just turned. Next thing I hear is a lump of metal falling down the inside of the door!

Used the passenger's lock to get in the car, and stripped the driver's door panel off to find that a lump of metal attached to the back of the lock that turns the locking mechanism itself has sheared off completely:mad:.

I can see that there is a torx screw on the side of the door that holds the lock and handle in, but can anyone tell me...

a) if I undo this screw, do I have to be careful of anything else falling off inside the door?
b) once I undo this screw, do I just pull the handle out of the door or do I have to undo any more clips?
c) can you just buy the bit that has sheared off, or is it a whole new lock mechanism?
d) how is this bit attached to the locking machanism?
e) anyone got an ETKA of this part of the car?

Many thanks if anyone can help on this!!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
the door handle will just slide out once you have undone the allen bolt in the door,its not attached to anything thats gonna fall of when you do this,just watch yer paint work.:cheers:

RadCordy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
My cordie is just as ****!

Tip for you though. Take the offending handle out. Swap it with the one on the passenger side and hey presto, your drivers lock works again but you cant get in the passenger side! :(

PhilNeo

Jason - Thanks:cheers:, but how are the linkages to the door opening mechanism attached?

RadCordy - I had considered that, but I came to the same conclusion as you....I'm Donald Duck'd if that one goes - I won't be able to get into the damn thing at all!!:D

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
no idea how it works,just that it does.i took my old ibiza ones off and used some rear cordoba ones to de lock it,having remote central locking does help;)

PhilNeo

Yeah I know what you mean. I washed the Cordoba yesterday, and low and behold, the passenger's lock was frozen this morning. I was not happy!!

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
u can find a replacement lock from a scrappie for free buy putin it in your pocket and one from any ibiza cordie or polo will fit i know this as mine broke a while ago they are prone to corosian

PhilNeo

Good idea. I used to frequent breakers yards every weekend, but it must be at least 10 years since my last visit!

Must dust off those oil covered boots....

PhilNeo

That's exactly what it is - thanks! I had to take off the door panel though, because I couldn't put up with the piece of metal rattling around in the door! I have ordered the bits and should get them tomorrow!

Now got to dig out my torx screw driver to remove the handle....

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
got a pair of old door handles here,cost more to post to bexley than buying yer own:(

PhilNeo

Should get the bits today. Thanks for the thought, though Jason. :cheers:.

PhilNeo

:(

Got the new excentric and tried to fit it Saturday. Unfortunately, the hook of the excentric is larger (thicker) than the hook of the excentric that broke, and subsequently does not fit through the loop at the back of the lock!

Took it back to the parts people and they had ordered both versions of them (short and long depending on whether it was a 2 or 4 door), and the short one had the smaller hook I needed, but obviously it was the wrong length!

Went through the ETKA for older versions of the car and even the Ibiza, but the part numbers were all the same. He is going to go back to Seat today to see what can be done, but he told me he has seen this before and the mechanics resorted to angle grinding them to make them fit - not something I want to do as it would reduce the structural strength of them, wouldn't it??? Also the new one didn't come with the little spring, so good job I took the door panel off and spotted it rolling about!

In the mean time I have swapped the passenger's excentric over to the drivers as I got fed up having to unlock the passenger side all the time!

Anyone else have this problem?

PhilNeo

:D Hooray - it's finally fixed.

What it sounds like is the old style Excentric and lock barrel was changed to a more sturdy design, so as well as the Excentric I had to buy a new Lock Barrel and Carrier (the bit that goes on the back of the barrel).

So, after transferring all the pins and springs across from the old lock to the new one and checking they were in the correct positions, I now have 2 fully working locks.

Just for info, the parts number for the barrel was S1H0837061G and the carrier S6N0837238B. I just had to transfer the spring from the old carrier to the new one as they didn't order one for me!

Murielson

Re posting in this thread as i now appear to have this problem and want to try and sort it out without resorting to dealers.

Key in door and internal component(s) have broken. Mechanism has broken and I need to identify all the parts required to put it back together again. Interested in any advice, personal experiences that might be available including diagrams or drawings of the detailed parts. Rather buy extra smaller parts than find myself without something when re-assembling.

May have to resort to dismantling passenger door to get an example/model to rebuild against.

Thouhts on whether a complete door handle from a scrappies would also do the job if I just change the key barrel would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
they have modified em mind to a thicker design

you'll need the barrel assy with seal (loops changed) and matching paddle/spring

then swap the brass key parts over (carefully) with the tiny springs

sit a broken one and a second hand or new kit in front of em could swap em over in 5 mins no problem even empty ones made to key number but explaining it is a whole different ball game

might make a how-to guide - can i have all your old bits for comparison ?

Murielson

Absolutely - once I have fixed the bugger. So far found a large spring and two items that slot together - one appears to be okay but the other is definitely broken

Can we upload images directly to a thread or do they need to be hosted somewhere?

staned

hi can anybody help. i have a seat toledo 02 model, the passenger door is closed and wont unlock. any suggestions of how to get it open without causing damage. any help appreciated . thanks stan .

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise