Driving Profiles

cs8

May 19, 2015
Took Cupra ST 280 for a 450km one way trip. I was in ECO, mostly 120km/h and got 6.8l/100 on the computer. On the track I had average 21l/100 :)

BigMac09

Mpg

:whistle:
Eco engine in both 184 and 280 (both DSG) returns better MPG - mostly down to the coasting.

Eco was ok for the commute and/or if I wasn't bothered (or able to due to a precious cargo....!) in giving it some toe but you did have to roll off the throttle earlier than used to (as mentioned above).

On balance tho I don't see much return in the wallet for the reduction in performance and most importantly enjoyment of driving :)

2.0 TDI 184 FR, 14 plate
I drive regularly from Marlborough, Wiltshire to Stone Staffs, mixture of dual carriageway and motorway, I have tried eco and sport and seem to get better mpg in Sport mode, and I like using the power

Deleted member 100924

I also had an FR 184 - before my Cupra. Ran it for about 6 months in Eco mode. It always felt gutless, (less pokey than the FR 150 I test drove) - I actually wondered if Seat had given me a 150 TDI my mistake, but the engine numbers and chassis (only the 184 is multi-link r suspension) and confirmed it was a 184.

Then I switched to Sport - aha, it went like stink emitting a gutteral diesel growl. I'd mistakenly thought (from another car) that Eco just slowed the throttle action, so if you floored it you'd still get all the horses. But it doesn't - in my car eco turned down the power. Afterwards I left it in Sport - if I was gentle on the throttle the mpg seems similar. In general driving I averaged 55 - 58 mpg.

To reiterate, in a Cupra 280, Eco seems superfluous. Why bother on a car with all those horses - I'm surprised it's there at all. And driven gently commuting (pointless even trying to overtake a snake of 20 cars), I get 40 mpg - with all 275 bhp at the ready if I need them.

Al

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I also had an FR 184 - before my Cupra. Ran it for about 6 months in Eco mode. It always felt gutless, (less pokey than the FR 150 I test drove) - I actually wondered if Seat had given me a 150 TDI my mistake, but the engine numbers and chassis (only the 184 is multi-link r suspension) and confirmed it was a 184.

Then I switched to Sport - aha, it went like stink emitting a gutteral diesel growl. I'd mistakenly thought (from another car) that Eco just slowed the throttle action, so if you floored it you'd still get all the horses. But it doesn't - in my car eco turned down the power. Afterwards I left it in Sport - if I was gentle on the throttle the mpg seems similar. In general driving I averaged 55 - 58 mpg.

To reiterate, in a Cupra 280, Eco seems superfluous. Why bother on a car with all those horses - I'm surprised it's there at all. And driven gently commuting (pointless even trying to overtake a snake of 20 cars), I get 40 mpg - with all 275 bhp at the ready if I need them.

Al

And Eco in the same scenario, that's where I get 47+ MPG, Eco serves it's purpose.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford

Al

There is no change in power between driving modes.

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
It's just throttle response that changes, the PS/HP still remains the same.

Really? So if I go on a rolling road with Eco mode on and my foot to the floor (not the kickdown) there will be no recorded decrease in HP compared the Normal?

I agree with the no difference in HP between normal and sport but not so sure about Eco. I think Eco limits the maximum throttle position not throttle response. Might be different on a DSG though, mines manual.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Really? So if I go on a rolling road with Eco mode on and my foot to the floor (not the kickdown) there will be no recorded decrease in HP compared the Normal?

I agree with the no difference in HP between normal and sport but not so sure about Eco. I think Eco limits the maximum throttle position not throttle response. Might be different on a DSG though, mines manual.

Mine is also a manual. I've read it somewhere previously (can't remember the link, but will try and dig it out) that there is no change in the amount of power, it's just the way it's delivered i.e. the throttle response is more sluggish.

The fact that I actually seem to get lower MPG in Eco versus normal or sport would perhaps suggest that there is no power difference (or that I get too annoyed with Eco and it has the opposite effect :p)

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
I have a DSG Cupra 280 and I set my profile up to Eco and I return 41mpg :) averaged 37.5 out of a tank other week :)

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
In my 180 TSi FR SC DSG, in Sport the box changes up too early on acceleration and changes down too early on braking.
In Normal, everything is pretty tame and you have to use 'kick down' switch to overtake safely.
I can always revert to full manual if conditions dictate.
It's a more sophisticated drive than my Skoda Fabia VRs's and a more relaxing tourer.
Fuel consumption is not great; 44 mpg returning from Wales to Hampshire yesterday.
For all that, I really like the car.
Tony

squidie

Sep 16, 2015
England
I drive in a mix of modes, normally Eco in poor traffic routes and then either Normal or Sport mode at weekends/holidays. I haven’t noticed any changes in MPH, as in I’ve not even checked yet. I have a MK3 125PS Leon FR.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Initially had mine in Normal but recently put it in Sport mode as I must be getting used to the power increase over my previous car and felt like I wanted a bit more zip in acceleration.

MPG has gone down a bit recently, not sure if that's Sport mode or just the type of driving I'm doing. Also trying out premium unleaded over standard 95 RON to see what effect that has (see my other thread).

In both cases I have steering on Normal as I find the Sport mode steering heavy and not in a nice way. My custom profile stays active all the time (MY16 SC FR 1.4 ecoTSI)

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
For me these drive profiles are rubbish!
I have it on sport, because of the red lights.
I hate this kind of crap on new cars, just use the throttle when you wanna go sporty or slow,
no need for these kind of programs just waste of money.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
For me these drive profiles are rubbish!
I have it on sport, because of the red lights.
I hate this kind of crap on new cars, just use the throttle when you wanna go sporty or slow,
no need for these kind of programs just waste of money.

But it changes more than just the gas pedal, in comfort it has a softer ride, and cupra gives quicker DSG changes, the diff is stronger and suspension at it's firmest etc. I change depending on whether it's a family/work journey, motorways or out it the counrty by myself just like it was made for.

Last edited:

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Yep, the mode stays the same, but the dash will show D instead of S, it's so you don't get the higher revs when you first start up in the morning (if you left it in Cupra etc mode) so once up to 80 oil temp, pull back on gear lever and toggle it back to S and you have full mode again.

How do you do a colder cold start? It'll be cool making the car even louder on a cold start

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members