Drone Sound.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Right heres a new one for you guys. (And girls!)

My car has a drone. (1.4 APQ) It only starts when you get to about 60-70mph. It sounds like its coming from the back towards the exhaust but cant be sure.

It disappears tho when you take you foot off the accelerator.

2 things ive thought off so far are:

1) I have a green cotton filter and i was thinking the filter may need cleaned and re-oiled

or 2) The car is due a service, oil change etc and this maybe why and the drone will disappear once its serviced.

Cant think of anything else so thats why im asking on here for other suggestions.

Cheers

Craig.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
does it dissapear immediately when you let off ? or sort of quieten down as you slow down

if say doing 75 and hold clutch in (so engine is on tickover) does it still appear

as above in or out of gear

as a guess i'd say rear wheel balance or wheel bearing for rear

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
does it dissapear immediately when you let off ? or sort of quieten down as you slow down

if say doing 75 and hold clutch in (so engine is on tickover) does it still appear

as above in or out of gear

as a guess i'd say rear wheel balance or wheel bearing for rear

Im pretty certain it disappears immediately after you let off.

I will try the holding the clutch in thing when i next get the chance.

It wont be wheel balance as the alloys still have all the balancing weights on them etc.

Im now starting to think wheel bearing.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Right ive decided that Im going to change both the front and back wheel-bearings. They haven't been replaced since the car was new. Plus Im needing new discs so it will be easier to get them done then.

I havent been on gsf yet but can anyone give me the part numbers and quanties of what i need. It will be a full rear kit and front kit.

Cheers.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Sorry to bring up this thread again but i dont think its the wheel bearing that is causing the drone. Ive been thinking if it was the wheel bearing the drone would gradually get louder from 45/50-ish but it doesnt start until 65-ish.

It sounds more like air blowing through something when you get to 65. Similar to what happens if you bow across the top of an open bottle.

Any suggestions?

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Don't rule out a dodgy tyre. I had a droaning noise coming from my Leon, I thought it was a wheel bearing.

It turned out to be a lump where the tyre had colapsed. I had to replace all four in the end as they where all well worn. The noise has gone now.

Its worth getting it up on the ramps or a jack and giving the wheel a spin before you spend any money... At least then you can see for yourself.

ibiza_streg

Oct 23, 2006
Cornwall
It sounds like wheel bearings, I had the same thing a kind of humming sound from the rear.

The bloke who fixed my car said he couldnt believe I had been driving around in it as it sounded like it was gunna take off!

Though I didnt have clue what it was, for a while I thought it was the exhaust, then a tyre, then as you now think a kind of airflow noise....but i'll bet its the wheel bearings!

And Wheel bearings only cost like £5 anyway so your not breaking the bank.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Wheel bearings it is then. Im need new rear brake shoes pretty soon anyway so i will just get the wheel bearings done at the same time. Just think i will do the front wheel bearings cos im needing front discs aswell.

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
I've had to replace wheel bearings a number of times - except the noise I heard wasn't just at high speed & it didn't go away when you took your foot off. Wheel bearings are moving if the car is, so you ought to hear it constantly - mine sounded quicker as I went quicker - like a dull drumming noise. They are cheap enough to replace though, so I suppose it's worth doing, but I reckon you need to check your tyres too (as mentioned above) just in case. Maybe it's something to do with your exhaust? At a certain speed, mine changes tone & if you take your foot off, there's not as much gases being pushed through it.....just a thought

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I've had to replace wheel bearings a number of times - except the noise I heard wasn't just at high speed & it didn't go away when you took your foot off. Wheel bearings are moving if the car is, so you ought to hear it constantly - mine sounded quicker as I went quicker - like a dull drumming noise. They are cheap enough to replace though, so I suppose it's worth doing, but I reckon you need to check your tyres too (as mentioned above) just in case. Maybe it's something to do with your exhaust? At a certain speed, mine changes tone & if you take your foot off, there's not as much gases being pushed through it.....just a thought

See ive been thinking it is maybe the exhaust aswell. :confused: I have a mk3 20v T exhaust on my car. The noise only starts at 65-70 ish like air blowing through something. As i said above, like the noise you get when you blow over the top of a bottle. As soon as you lift of the accelerator the noise stops, even if your at 65-70ish and lift off. I will still change the wheel bearings and see if its that. It may be the tyres as well come to think about it?!

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
might as well do the rear bearings yourself mate, i think they're about 6.50 from GSF and took me (being a complete mechanical spac) about an hour to do

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Sorry to dig up an old thread folks but I still have this drone. Although the other night I pulled the handbrake on slightly wen doing 60mph, just enough to slow the car down and the drone disappeared.

Could it be something to do with the handbrake mechanism thats causing it??

Cupra Tdi Girl

Hi I am having the same problem with my 06 Cupra tdi. I had a full service today (allegedly) (£180) and I have replaced all 4 tyres in the last month and had the tracking done.

I asked them to look at the exhaust because the car is making a really uncomfortable noise like its gonna take off and i was told there was nothing wrong with it, and that ibiza's are noisy anyway..... despite the fact that its never made this noise up until about 2/3 months ago.

The car has done 25k miles and the noise is so bad sometimes its ear piercing. If this is the "norm" for the ibiza im thinking im gonna sell mine.

Has anyone figured out what this noise is and how it can be fixed ??????

Cupra Tdi Girl

update on the above guys .... it turns out that it was the rear drivers side wheel bearing was fixed under warranty with no problem ..... i love my new dealer ..... happy days!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.