Droning noise at 3000rpm

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Guys, I have noticed when driving (mainly in 5th/6th gear) and in a straight line, that I can hear a loudish droning noise that appears to be coming from the front left (although thats a bit of a guess). More recently I have noticed in any gear but its in a small rev range from about 2900-3100rpm.

I just recently had my 40k service and suggested to the chap that it might be a wheel bearing but after the service they said they couldnt figure out what it was but they thought it might be the diff. He said they couldnt really do anything until it got worse.

My questions:

1) Does anyone have any other suggestions what this might be?
2) Is it dangerous if either diff/wheel bearing goes when driving?
3) Is it likely to be expensive to repair?

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Don't have any suggestions as to alternate problems, but...
If the wheel bearing goes whilst driving it can be a dangerous, as the wheel has the potential of locking out!

That said you'd be fully aware if before you get to the about situ. Shagged wheel bearing make a real bad noise & you'd know about it...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
thanks for that, the noise is not excessively loud but is noticeable. it seems odd that it only happens at 3000rpm, above or below it goes away. i'll def. be getting it sorted if gets any worse.

anyone any ideas on the diff.?

ukbish

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. I wold get it checked.

Bish

charvel

Get up to the speed/revs where you can hear it, then push the clutch in. If you can still hear it, it's most likely a wheel bearing.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I had exactly the same problem, but rear left. Turned out to be an unevenly worn tyre - inside edge was badly warn.
Changed tyre and voila - no more noise :)

Check your tyre all over - make sure tread is even. Perhaps even get tracking/alignment checked to make sure the wheel is pointing in the right direction...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
i have just put two new tyres on the rear. i thought the fronts were ok but i have my mot tomorrow so i'll ask them to check the fronts. it seems weird that its at particular revs rather than speed :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.