Dropping the rear of the Ibiza

bizzaboy

Hi all,

I have Eibach pro-street Springs fitted on my Mk4 Ibiza.
The front is nicely lowered, however there is still a larger gap on the rear between wheel and arch.

What is the cheapest option of lowering the rear a couple of inches?

I'm finding it hard to pay £600+ just to achieve this drop at the rear, with a set of Coilovers - when the front is just fine the way it is.

To confirm, the Springs have been on for over a year now, so they would already have bedded in.

Thankyou in advance.

binkylad

May 30, 2008
northern ireland
the ibizas do ride high in the back, so when i put my springs in i still wasnt happy with it, the only safe way is to save up for coilovers, but if you dont care about saftey you could clamp springs or even cut them, but i would not recommend.mainly becuase if you clamp your spring it is more likely to break where you clamp it where as a spring is designed to fait at either end, that wat the car will not drop as much and avoids further damage.

so coilovers...... cheack out ap or vmax, quite cheap and good quality

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i wouldn't go for coilovers...you will be better off trying to find shorter spring and shock setup

i've seen an FR in Kingston who was riding on Polo GTi setup and looked just right, he said that the ride was a tad better as well

nam

May 29, 2007
Northwest
360 quid for ap coil's mate, ride is spot on better than standard, look in my build thread for pics

DanDiesel

In my diesel is where I'll be, chugging merrily.
Mar 17, 2005
Kent
Coilovers the way to go!

Always wanted the rear of mine slightly lower when I had 16s (low as it can go currently) but with the right tyre/wheel combo I now have the arches filled nicely. Oh and some 20mm spacers on the rear!

Current set up is 7.5x17 with 205/40/17 tyres.

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Hi all,

I have Eibach pro-street Springs fitted on my Mk4 Ibiza.
The front is nicely lowered, however there is still a larger gap on the rear between wheel and arch.

What is the cheapest option of lowering the rear a couple of inches?

I'm finding it hard to pay £600+ just to achieve this drop at the rear, with a set of Coilovers - when the front is just fine the way it is.

To confirm, the Springs have been on for over a year now, so they would already have bedded in.

Thankyou in advance.

You got a pic of your car mate? Because I want to lower mine but dont want it scraping the floor - just wondered what yours looks like?

DanDiesel

In my diesel is where I'll be, chugging merrily.
Mar 17, 2005
Kent
Pics to show the advantage of coilovers. You can set it up how you want it, and not rely on how springs will leave it sitting:

28.jpg

apr3.jpg

Its about 60mm at the rear and 70mm ish at the front.

Last edited:
May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
I went for yamex coilover on mine....£323 is my memory serves me right! not useing the car for track so didnt want to blow alot of money on a set! the back is wound right down and front lowered maybe 35mm ish!

Cupra6.jpg

Last edited:

bizzaboy

Hello, thankyou all for the great feedback, much appreciated. :)

Looks like I can buy a set of coilovers for a good deal less than £600+, which is the usual price you'd pay for a quality set - fitting might be ontop of that price too!

One of these cheaper sets might be the way to go, at least then I'd have the option of dropping the front a small amount too, so the car sits just right. :)

I had also thought about kitting the boot out with something heavy - infact a Sub enslosure would be a perfect item for the job. ;)

Will look into the coilover packages that have been mentioned here - the pics of your cars are also great, looks like you can really wind the coilovers down, with the car siting really low over the wheels.

Yes, here is a picture of my car as it is now, on Eibach springs....
I also have 15mm spacers on the rear to help "push out" the wheels a bit, which really does help cosmetically. Also the sidelights have been replaced with a set of ice white/blue LED versions.

Thoughts on the stance appreciated (CLICK the yellow bar to get large size picture)...

howlow.jpg

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
I've never seen a blue Cupra before, or is it bumper upgrade?

Looks not too bad tbh, could drop it a bit more by a set of lowering springs set lower than the front? Keep the others as spares?

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Hello, thankyou all for the great feedback, much appreciated. :)

Looks like I can buy a set of coilovers for a good deal less than £600+, which is the usual price you'd pay for a quality set - fitting might be ontop of that price too!

One of these cheaper sets might be the way to go, at least then I'd have the option of dropping the front a small amount too, so the car sits just right. :)

I had also thought about kitting the boot out with something heavy - infact a Sub enslosure would be a perfect item for the job. ;)

Will look into the coilover packages that have been mentioned here - the pics of your cars are also great, looks like you can really wind the coilovers down, with the car siting really low over the wheels.

Yes, here is a picture of my car as it is now, on Eibach springs....
I also have 15mm spacers on the rear to help "push out" the wheels a bit, which really does help cosmetically. Also the sidelights have been replaced with a set of ice white/blue LED versions.

Thoughts on the stance appreciated (CLICK the yellow bar to get large size picture)...

howlow.jpg

I really like that stance - thats what I want mine like. Them wheels 16" or 17"?

bizzaboy

I really like that stance - thats what I want mine like. Them wheels 16" or 17"?

Hi Chris - these are 17" KEI Racing Alloys. ;)
Also, the rear wheels have been brought out a little, using a set of 15mm Eibach spacers.

I've never seen a blue Cupra before, or is it bumper upgrade?

Looks not too bad tbh, could drop it a bit more by a set of lowering springs set lower than the front? Keep the others as spares?

Hi G, The Cupra bumper IS an upgrade. ;) Really transforms the front end!
It's a deep Blue colour (almost purple), that has a really nice metallic look to it in sunlight.... ;)
(note this pic was BEFORE the tinted windows & front Cupra bumper)

insun.jpg

Here's another front end shot, with the new Cupra bumper...

landscape.jpg

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
I actually think the ride height looks pretty good as it is mate.

The rear could go down a touch, but I wouldn't spend all that money on coilovers unless you really want it slammed!

Jun 13, 2008
Kent
Yeah some big ass bass in the back of that will give you the drop you need, looks nice as it is now though

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members