DSG Automatic Gear stick change?

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
I have a leon fr 2017 dsg facelift 2 litre model and want to change the stock dsg gear knob as it has some wear, wouldn't mind carbon fibre if anybody has any suggestions as i am struggling to find anything decent on eBay. Also does anyone know if these eaziwrap products will fit on my car?

Cheers

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I have a leon fr 2017 dsg facelift 2 litre model and want to change the stock dsg gear knob as it has some wear, wouldn't mind carbon fibre if anybody has any suggestions as i am struggling to find anything decent on eBay. Also does anyone know if these eaziwrap products will fit on my car?

Cheers
@Damo H changed his to a carbon fibre style one. Looks really good. Don’t think it was too much faff, hopefully he’ll confirm haha

Reactions: jfellows10

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Damo H changed his to a carbon fibre style one. Looks really good. Don’t think it was too much faff, hopefully he’ll confirm haha
I didn't replace the whole stick, just the bits. Following that Aellis guy on Youtube. Just don;t do it with a credit card and a phone in your hand. Use a proper trim removal tool and its easy. He only replaces the leather bits, I replaced the middle bit too, which is really easy ones the leather sides are off....

This is the one I bought as well:

Wouldn't recommend AliExpress for engine/mecahnical parts, but to dismantle this and use the cover parts is fine.

Reactions: Butty

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Cheers

Assuming your car has this bumper, they should all fit :)

1594312953657.png

gpodda

Apr 18, 2020
Poland
I have a leon fr 2017 dsg facelift 2 litre model and want to change the stock dsg gear knob as it has some wear, wouldn't mind carbon fibre if anybody has any suggestions as i am struggling to find anything decent on eBay.

Cheers

You can buy something like this:
Black Forest Industries

Another idea is that you can buy original gear knob from Cupra R which has alcantara finish, but I don't know part number.

Maybe someone else will help with part number (because I'm struggling too between BFI and Cupra R knob)?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
You can buy something like this:
Black Forest Industries

Another idea is that you can buy original gear knob from Cupra R which has alcantara finish, but I don't know part number.

Maybe someone else will help with part number (because I'm struggling too between BFI and Cupra R knob)?
Only issue with the Cupra R one is it’s a pain in the backside to keep clean! I must clean it at least once a week to ensure it doesn’t flatten too much.

Cupra622

May 9, 2020

Cheers
Aren't those bumper vinyls and mirror caps for an ibiza? He defo does the ones for the leon, they're normally on a seperate listing.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Aren't those bumper vinyls and mirror caps for an ibiza? He defo does the ones for the leon, they're normally on a seperate listing.
My mistake, i have seen the ones for the leon but he puts leon 6f and sometime 2017+ or 2018 on them so i get confused if there is any difference with the bumper.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
I didn't replace the whole stick, just the bits. Following that Aellis guy on Youtube. Just don;t do it with a credit card and a phone in your hand. Use a proper trim removal tool and its easy. He only replaces the leather bits, I replaced the middle bit too, which is really easy ones the leather sides are off....

This is the one I bought as well:

Wouldn't recommend AliExpress for engine/mecahnical parts, but to dismantle this and use the cover parts is fine.
Thanks for the recommendation, i have seen this video but just was not 100 percent with buying off ali express and wasn't sure if the quality was any good. How long roughly are shipping times?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for the recommendation, i have seen this video but just was not 100 percent with buying off ali express and wasn't sure if the quality was any good. How long roughly are shipping times?
Depends, I have had stuff arrive in a week (DSG gear knob as it happens) but others have been a month (electrical connection bits).

I think with Covid-19 I'd expect more likely to the month end of the spectrum.

But quality wise, I'm really happy with it for the price. It matches my carbon fibre paddle shifters really well and they were double the price even second hand.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Depends, I have had stuff arrive in a week (DSG gear knob as it happens) but others have been a month (electrical connection bits).

I think with Covid-19 I'd expect more likely to the month end of the spectrum.

But quality wise, I'm really happy with it for the price. It matches my carbon fibre paddle shifters really well and they were double the price even second hand.
Cheers i may lok at ordering from here then, have you got any photos of your carbon paddle shifters as that is something i was also looking to do next!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Cheers i may lok at ordering from here then, have you got any photos of your carbon paddle shifters as that is something i was also looking to do next!

The paddles where these:

Only picture I have from my build thread:

0009-mod-3-carbon-dsg-paddles-jpg.3518

Not normally a fan of chrome, but the mish mash of gloss black, chrome and leather when I first replaced the leather with carbon, looked like this...

d3ea57f0-2e13-4363-b9d0-4755866fe3ee-jpeg.6393

So I swapped the top bit for the chrome bit that came with the carbon fibre knob. Have to say I much preferred the gloss black trim pieces of my 280 over the chrome in the carbon. But I'd rather it matched that didn't. And there is a lot of chrome trim on the carbon, so to much £££ to start swapping it out...
a087a519-e4d3-463e-a911-5678952a518e-jpeg.6653

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
The paddles where these:

Only picture I have from my build thread:

0009-mod-3-carbon-dsg-paddles-jpg.3518

Not normally a fan of chrome, but the mish mash of gloss black, chrome and leather when I first replaced the leather with carbon, looked like this...

d3ea57f0-2e13-4363-b9d0-4755866fe3ee-jpeg.6393

So I swapped the top bit for the chrome bit that came with the carbon fibre knob. Have to say I much preferred the gloss black trim pieces of my 280 over the chrome in the carbon. But I'd rather it matched that didn't. And there is a lot of chrome trim on the carbon, so to much £££ to start swapping it out...
a087a519-e4d3-463e-a911-5678952a518e-jpeg.6653
Looks mint, where did you get the carbon paddles from if i may ask?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Looks mint, where did you get the carbon paddles from if i may ask?
I bought mine second hand. He'd bought them and decided he didn't like them as his fingers where too big. If I'm honest I suspect he didn't like their fitment, because when I did a test fit, they worked, but they were to close to the steering wheel, so when pressing the paddle, it didn't 'click'.

I literally just added another layer of sticky to pad it out a little more, not only did they click perfectly, they seem to look better in relation to the original padels.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.