DSG SLow off the line

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
So im still getting used to the car but one thing that lets it down slightly is the time taken to get off the line when a quick getaway is needed with a dsg box.

For me the dsg doesn't have that instant power a manual would have. What I find is there is a slight delay between letting go of the foot brake, pressing on the loud pedal... then nothing... then WHOOOSH. I usually have the dsg mode in D and use the paddles when i need to drop down a cog or to prior to foot down antics. Does sport get off the line quicker? I know there is launch control but it sounds / looks brutal and dont fancy sitting at the lights revving the knackers off the car looking like a prize plum :rofl:

A traffic light grand prix with a V40 D6 really showed the delay / lag with the dsg box. Those Volvos are quick!!!! :blink: But I managed to reel him in eventually :whistle: I suspect he also had an auto as he was rolling forward prior to Green so had a better start but i went straight from brake to loud pedal.

What do other dsg cupra owners make of the quick starts?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Never had a prob getting off the line, in any mode, have even taken some average motors from the lights while starting from engine off (start/stop on).

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
My Jetta has dsg as I loved it when I had my Cupra and Fabia vrs, never had a problem getting of the line,
Now my SLK 7 speed auto box single clutch is so slow compaired to the dsg feel every gear change and takes an age to down shift.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Well I never experienced this behaviour of the DSG.
I have even to take back the throttle a bit to let it not to catapult me too much with lots of wheelspin from stand still.

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
A quick Google will show this issue does exist. From what I have read, if you go from your foot on the brake straight to the accelerator, there is a bit of lag. I think its a matter of timing, if you let go of the brake, allow the car to creep and then smash it, there is no lag. Basically you're feet are too fast :)

volts

Sep 1, 2011
A quick Google will show this issue does exist. From what I have read, if you go from your foot on the brake straight to the accelerator, there is a bit of lag. I think its a matter of timing, if you let go of the brake, allow the car to creep and then smash it, there is no lag. Basically you're feet are too fast :)

As above all about timing. Release the brake so the box has a chance to engage 1st gear before acceleration

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
As above all about timing. Release the brake so the box has a chance to engage 1st gear before acceleration

Which prob explains why Mr Volvo had a better start off the line and was able to pull a car length before i'd even got going.

Thanks for the feedback all :D

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I find it's a case of how quickly you press the accelerator, both from standing start and under way.
Tony

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
The DSG will hold the brakes for a second or two after releasing the brake - to prevent rolling back on hills or something. Possible it is an option somewhere that you can turn off.

However, my launch technique is to come off the brake, and have the handbrake engaged, the car will pull against the handbrake and I can then throttle up and launch by coming off handbrake. Much more effective than just stomping on throttle. Not as noisy / fun as tyre smoke mode (launch control) though - that burble is addictive!

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I would not recommence that method, as you will wear out the DSG clutches.
If you really want screaming starts, use manual and hold on until 6,000 rpm and then change.
Tony

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Speaking of launches, I murdered my mates GTI PP off the line today. I get the best launch by selecting manual, left foot on the brake, right foot on the accelerator until 2.5k revs and LAUNCH feeding the power through first with 90% throttle before hammering it just before it changes into 2nd. A bit of wheelspin into second but you're already gone.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Car won't rev to 6k when stationary.. I think.

I know that, start by releasing the footbrake , take it to 6,000 in first, second, etc., continue to 140 mph, if legal.
Yes there will be a lag due to DSG and turbo, but the instantaneous gear changes make up for that.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Speaking of launches, I murdered my mates GTI PP off the line today. I get the best launch by selecting manual, left foot on the brake, right foot on the accelerator until 2.5k revs and LAUNCH feeding the power through first with 90% throttle before hammering it just before it changes into 2nd. A bit of wheelspin into second but you're already gone.

That too will wear out the DSG.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.