e-Hybrid Charging

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
Hopefully this will clarify.

In electric mode only the charge generally only goes down when driving (although you will recover a small amount through regen).

When working in hybrid mode you can set a reserve level in the battery settings so that it will not drop below your set limit. This is to keep some electric range for low emission zones. When this set point is reached then the petrol engine only operates.

Now if you have no or low charge and running in hybrid mode (i.e. petrol engine active) and set this limit above where the battery currently is then the battery will gain charge. It must do this at the expense of fuel consumption so the benefits are limited.

When doing this the hybrid mode on the dash changes from a picture of a battery with sideways chevrons changes to one with chevrons facing upwards.
The green charging section on the dials doesn't show anything.

I can upload some proper photos when I have a low charge next but here is a photo showing where you adjust the hybrid mode battery reserve.

View attachment 27962
thanks for clarifying, so basically the %30 charge which you had mentioned was basically at the expense of petrol then.

andyjj

May 8, 2021
People may find the following information useful.

I have had my PHEV for about six months. A lot of my driving is local and hence done purely on electric (which is great).

However, during the last week, I have driven about 1000 miles up to the Scottish Highlands and then around the Lake District, during which time I have not plugged-in to charge at all. Apart from a few short journeys in electric mode, I have been keeping it in hybrid mode with a 60% charge requested. At this setting, it seems to actually hold at around 50%, but I have achieved an average 47.9 mpg, which I think is fairly reasonable (it was 60+ mpg on the longer motorway journeys).

The previous 1000 miles was primarily electric and done on £18 petrol and about £15 electricity, so I am pretty happy with that !

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham

I have had my PHEV for about six months. A lot of my driving is local and hence done purely on electric (which is great).

However, during the last week, I have driven about 1000 miles up to the Scottish Highlands and then around the Lake District, during which time I have not plugged-in to charge at all. Apart from a few short journeys in electric mode, I have been keeping it in hybrid mode with a 60% charge requested. At this setting, it seems to actually hold at around 50%, but I have achieved an average 47.9 mpg, which I think is fairly reasonable (it was 60+ mpg on the longer motorway journeys).

The previous 1000 miles was primarily electric and done on £18 petrol and about £15 electricity, so I am pretty happy with that !
Seems excellent! What trim is yours, and what body? Can't wait to get mine :)

andyjj

May 8, 2021
Seems excellent! What trim is yours, and what body? Can't wait to get mine :)

Xcellence trim, tourer body

Love the car, hate the firmware bugs in the control systems, which can be fine for weeks and have a wobble. Today it has switched to my wife's profile and refuses to switch back to mine (the primary user). It will probably be fine in the morning, it usually is :rolleyes:

Last edited:

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London

good to know. Especially as the charging points opposite my house area total rip off and the electric range of 36-40 miles would actually make petrol more cost effective. found out the high price of the source London charging points is because they give a kick back to my council !!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members