ebay replacement turbo ok?!

danp2

Thinking of going to see a mk1 Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v, which has a new turbo fitted.

The chap said he bought the turbo off ebay (£330), and fitted it himself as he used to be a mechanic...

So..questions would be:

1. Anyone bought a turbo off ebay and got any comments on it?

(I think this is probably the one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-8T-180HP-UPGRADE-TURBOCHARGER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a13Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem200278396273QQitemZ200278396273QQptZUKQ5fCarsPartsQ5fVehiclesQ5fCarPartsQ5fSMQQsalenotsupported

I don't like the fact it mentions more BHP personally, but keeping an open mind!

Thanks, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Just because the car is said to have had a replacement turbo doesn't mean the car is a bad one at all. If the work is done properly then it should be completely fine in all honesty. I bought my old 306 off ebay which the owner is said to have changed the turbo himself", the car was absolutely spot on when i test drove it, so i bought it and had no turbo problems at all.

My advice is go see the car, take it for a test drive and see how the car feels to drive, also check for any unusual noises, and smoke too. If everything appears to be fine with the car then happy days :)

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
I have bought about 5 for myself and a few others for friends.

All look very nice and everyone promises you the world.

Out of the 5 - only one was OK.

Got them from different sources.

I think its not worth the risk, unless you get it very cheap and then get it professionaly calibrated and repaired.

Remember : If they're on sale on ebay, 99% chance they're no good.

Turbos are a sensitive and vital part of your car, dont risk it.

One lasted me 2 minutes,... I have been through 3 Turbos in the last 6 months.

This is my view and personal advice after a hand full of bad deals on e-bay.

If you do buy them, get them PROFESSIONALLY CHECKED AND REPAIRED before fitting !!!

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
If I ever need a replacement turbo i'd go nowhere other than Backdraft to buy mine... no point with that crappy ebay shitola tbh! How long has it been on the car since the turbo was replaced? Why would he want to sell the car after replacing the turbo if it was all running fine?

danp2

I have bought about 5 for myself and a few others for friends.

All look very nice and everyone promises you the world.

Out of the 5 - only one was OK.

Got them from different sources.

I think its not worth the risk, unless you get it very cheap and then get it professionaly calibrated and repaired.

Remember : If they're on sale on ebay, 99% chance they're no good.

Turbos are a sensitive and vital part of your car, dont risk it.

One lasted me 2 minutes,... I have been through 3 Turbos in the last 6 months.

This is my view and personal advice after a hand full of bad deals on e-bay.

If you do buy them, get them PROFESSIONALLY CHECKED AND REPAIRED before fitting !!!

Chrs, so how much are the turbos from Seat, or a reputable supplier?

Must be someone like AMD that has a good name for replacing these?

jaymd

Jun 28, 2006
Macclesfield - Cheshire
Please be very careful as there are cheap chinese copies on ebay.

You can usually tell them as they have been engraved where the little blue turbo plaque is which states turbo model number.

danp2

If I ever need a replacement turbo i'd go nowhere other than Backdraft to buy mine... no point with that crappy ebay shitola tbh! How long has it been on the car since the turbo was replaced? Why would he want to sell the car after replacing the turbo if it was all running fine?

Thx for the reply, how much from Backdraft pls?

He's a trader, and says it's been on there for a few weeks and 1.5k miles and all good.