EBC or Ferodo?

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Hi guys, whats your opinion on pads, got to order some, asked for DS2500s and the guy's come back to me saying they're "hellish expensive, what about some EBC's" If EBC, which colour should I go for or is it worth spending the extra on DS2500's? I know the Ferodos aren't street legal but on the other hand I do track days so as long as they're OK on the road I'm cool with that! Cheers

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Stay away from EBC absolute garbidge, ferrodo apparently arnt road legal so if your in an accident your insuance may not pay out although id still fit them.

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
Why are the ferodo's not road legal, do you need to maintain heat in the pads?? I'm also thinking of upgrading pads whatever is in now are really dusty!

Poverty

they just havent been r90 certified. I would rather use genuine oem pads than ebc

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
this is from a thread on briskoda, so are quotes, but makes for interesting reading.

essentially it is all about Ferrodo DS2500 pads being listed as track day only.

here are some main quotes

DS2500's are not approved to ECE R90 ("Reg 90") and therefore must not be used on public roads on vehicles manufactured from end of 1999 onwards. Basically DS2500's are for off-road only and not legal for use on the road. You insurance will not be valid. Look for a pad which is Reg-90 approved if you want to use it on the road - your insurance will cover you with any Reg 90 pad.

There is as far as I am aware no requirement for aftermarket parts to be type approved.

Scrub that what he said is right since 2001 in the UK in actual fact.

Further to my reply further up, just to add emphasis, here is some marketing text re. the DS2500's from Balance Motorsports..

"Ferodo DS2500 is a very popular pad for trackday users and also for outright circuit use on the shorter events. DS2500's chief characteristic is it offers a very high level of friction. DS2500 also offers excellent pedal modulation and feel. DS2500 gives you the confidence to drive accurately and smoothly on track, braking late but safe. DS2500 pads have been a big seller from Balance Motorsport for some time. DS2500 pads are also very driver friendly having excellent pedal modulation and feel. Please remember these pads are not reg 90 approved and therefore any car made later than 2000 should only use these pads on track!"

I believe that Ferodo manufacture a 'performance pad' which IS reg 90 approved and is a milder version of the DS2500.

i know alot of guys on here reccomend them and are using them as well. *could be bad news if your insurance is invalidated as a result of these inpads in a crash

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members