ECU SWAPPING

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
Okay so I know very little about cars, any the little I do know is mostly mechanical so I’m looking to tap into others knowledge.

I want to get a anti-lag map or a bang pop map, whatever people want to call it, but I know it’s not good for your car And can get annoying. So I don’t want it permanently. Is there a way that I can have it so it can be per say ‘toggled’ or even like change ecus to a second anti lag mapped one when I want to be a noisy twat?

I have a pretty much bog standard mk1 AUQ 1.8t 20v, it’s got an induction kit and a catback exhaust and the exhaust popping once in a blue moon has made me want my car to make these noises more!

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance 🙏

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
you could get the settings for the anti-lag map mapped to a switch or solenoid so you have to press the button for it to work? alot like modern cars have different driving modes that are toggled by the TCS system, my friend had an AUQ Cupra and mapped the settings to the TCS button and throttle, so the car drove normal but if you held the TCS button down for x amount of time and then held the throttle at 3k it would activate the anti-lag, then it would shoot of like a 90's group B rally car.

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
you could get the settings for the anti-lag map mapped to a switch or solenoid so you have to press the button for it to work? alot like modern cars have different driving modes that are toggled by the TCS system, my friend had an AUQ Cupra and mapped the settings to the TCS button and throttle, so the car drove normal but if you held the TCS button down for x amount of time and then held the throttle at 3k it would activate the anti-lag, then it would shoot of like a 90's group B rally car.
That TCS button idea is great! Exactly what I want, would I be able to do this with a stock ECU or will I need to get a stand-alone ECU for it?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Is that something someone like badger5 could do?
I fancy having it but not all the time.

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
That TCS button idea is great! Exactly what I want, would I be able to do this with a stock ECU or will I need to get a stand-alone ECU for it?
Standard ECU will do it, can also have "no lift shift"(although not everywhere will do it), the way it works is under full acceleration when you change gear you don't have to let off the accelerator to change gear, the ECU will dip and match the revs for you, the idea being that the computer/ECU can work things out quicker than you can move from one pedal to the next.

Reactions: Rich.T

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Is that something someone like badger5 could do?
I fancy having it but not all the time.
I can't comment on specifitities of individual companies but if they are familiar with VAG cars and do custom maps then I guess it can't hurt to ask them?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Standard ECU will do it, can also have "no lift shift"(although not everywhere will do it), the way it works is under full acceleration when you change gear you don't have to let off the accelerator to change gear, the ECU will dip and match the revs for you, the idea being that the computer/ECU can work things out quicker than you can move from one pedal to the next.
That sound like something dreams are made of.

Reactions: oggydoodaa

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
That sound like something dreams are made of.
Just be warned some companies don't offer the "no lift shift" on road cars as I found out when I was ringing around looking for quotes to get my 20vt auq remapped, 2 outta 3 said they only offer it on "track cars" as it's "not safe" for road use, don't quite know how that works when they remap rs3's to 400+ hp but this is society :ROFLMAO:

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
No lift shift is (in my opinion) a waste of time on an H pattern box.

It's basically an ignition cut and works on sequential shifts/DSGs as the shift time is short n regular so the drivetrain isn't stressed. On an H pattern you can't bang through gears as fast or as consistently so the drivetrain slows and you're trying to cut the revs to match but there will be a mismatch so you're shocking the drivetrain, not what you want on a road car.

But hey, you pays yer money etc etc

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
No lift shift is (in my opinion) a waste of time on an H pattern box.

It's basically an ignition cut and works on sequential shifts/DSGs as the shift time is short n regular so the drivetrain isn't stressed. On an H pattern you can't bang through gears as fast or as consistently so the drivetrain slows and you're trying to cut the revs to match but there will be a mismatch so you're shocking the drivetrain, not what you want on a road car.

But hey, you pays yer money etc etc
It’s not just about matching the revs, it’s also about removing turbo lag. If you keep your foot down the turbo stays spooling so by the time you’ve got into the next gear you don’t have to wait for the turbo to spool up again.

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
Yeah I’ve heard about that, flat foot shifting. I’m not looking to make max power out of my car, already had the engine blow once on a stock map and it’s only at 77k 😂. Would you have any recommendations on places for doing the map of holding down TCS to change to anti-lag map? Two places I’ve contacted said they can’t do it and the other said they’d charge 5 grand 😂

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
It’s not just about matching the revs, it’s also about removing turbo lag. If you keep your foot down the turbo stays spooling so by the time you’ve got into the next gear you don’t have to wait for the turbo to spool up again.

I think I'm getting what you mean, you're thinking of flat shifting (rev matching is for downshifts).

First off if you're needing to flat shift to keep on boost then there's something wrong with your shifting/turbo setup/gearing. Yes you lift off, the turbo slows but on an upshift it's shouldn't be slowing down enough to be off boost when you re-engage drive.

Rev cutting during flat shifting limits the spike in torque. The reason someone else said companies are reluctant to do it on non competition cars is because flat shifting shocks the driveline (as I mentioned) even with a rev limit. A competition or track car is uprated everything and they don't have to provide any warranty so if it goes bang, such is life, if the torque hit is too much and the car goes weird, such is life. Road cars get people sued because safety.

Again, you pay your money you make your choice.

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
So after a lot of being turned away or quoted stupid amounts, I’m at a loss for where to go for this, do you know any places that would offer this map connected with the TCS and throttle? Only place that has said they can do it quoted me £5000

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
So after a lot of being turned away or quoted stupid amounts, I’m at a loss for where to go for this, do you know any places that would offer this map connected with the TCS and throttle? Only place that has said they can do it quoted me £5000
Who have you tried?
Where do you live and are you happy to travel?

Jixzle

Dec 1, 2020
Kent
I tried a few close to me, I live in Kent and the closer the better, I’m not a fan of driving places I don’t know, I’ve only been driving a couple years

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ive heard mixed reviews about them.
But maybe call them to see if they can do what your after.

My car was remapped by them (under a previous owner) and it goes like a stabbed rat.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
As far as I know there is no way you can have switchable anti-lag on a standard ECU. You would need a stand alone, hence the high prices you've been quoted.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.