EGR valve on constant vacuum??

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Hey,

just had my car in for some diagnostics. one of the things that they picked up on was that my EGR valve is under constant vacuum... where as it should be under intermittent vacuum. This means very little to me so could someone explain what, why and how? and what the implications could be?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
It means your EGR valve would be constantly open, loss of power etc would by a symptom.

Can only think the solenoid is playing up and stuck (black unit on top of the o/s strut top).

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Can only think the solenoid is playing up and stuck (black unit on top of the o/s strut top).

do you suppose that this could cause warm starting issues? and any chance that it could be associated?

i've got a wierd starting issue where if i go for say (for a vague example) a ten mile drive, park up and switch off, and then come back after about 45 mins it turns over about 30 times before starting. we've replaced the coolant temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor however no change. Its not displaying any fault codes. the techie that had it THINKS that whent the (new) coolant temp sensor is unplugged, it starts fine. it just seems that when ever the engine is hot its reluctant to start?? the garage that had it thinks that it needs a new ECU but at £1120... i want a second opinion!!

what are your thoughts?

thanks for the quick reply sir!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It shouldnt be vacuuming all the time for a start - pnly below 2k revs.

If i were you and you want a definitive answer then take it to a seat dealer because this is what you'll end up doing anyway. You can pay 10 different garages low labour rates to carry out "diagnostic" checks and come out with "erm, yeah it looks like the ecu is knackered" (when they are realisticly bullet proof and the only real issue that can occur with them is water ingress, in older models) or take it to a dealer, bite the bullet, pay the higher labour rates and get a definitive answer.

The 5051b diag machines have fault code reading and specific testing procedures on them to pin point these exact sort of faults, what might cost you £1200+ for an ecu might just be a £50 wiring repair.

Also i agree with techie - get that solenoid replaced and see if the egr returns to normal.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.