Electrical Problem? Dash Board Lights Go Crazy, Help!!

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
When I turn off the engine (mk1 Leon) some of the dash lights, millage, petrol light etc. flash on and off like crazy, and the petrol beep noise beeps on and off too. Even after locking the doors it won't stop. :(

However, when I turn the sidelights/lights on it stops, and everything is normal. I can start the car and drive it fine it's just when you turn off the engine. I've had to disconnect the battery at the moment and leave it in the driver so the sidelights don't drain the battery.

Has anyone had this problem before and anyone know what it could be??

Thanks for any help or ideas

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Check your battery voltage, ive know knackered batteries to cause problems like that, and as soon as you put alt voltate 14V or put them under load they go ok. Could just be something simple like that.

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Well it's just had a new battery put in, and doesn't seem to fit in the holder correctly ie: the rubber cover wont go on properly. This could be the cause??

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Hmm doubt it, but it still have a check, it could be faulty from factory. Does it stop if you turn to IGN? without the engine running?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
well yes, just means it stops when your putting it under load. Id have a check of your earths, most probable will be the main battery to body one, then possibly engine/gear box to body. Have you got a multimeter? A simple cheap one is enough

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
No I don't unfortunately, although I have a friend who I think does

Talking of the earths, on my way home I stopped at a garage and asked if they knew what was wrong, they took a look under the bonnet and said it could be the earth leads as they're quite corroded

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Well that would be my first stop definatly sounds like the problem. You can probably get away with just taking the wire off the car, gutting the corrosion off and re-attaching to the car body, but it might be a bit messy with putting the connector back on the end, your local motor factors should sell a pre-made earthing lead for a few quid.

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Just been out to have a look: Didn't touch the earth but had a play with the flashing lights again.

If I fiddle with the dimmer switch it has an effect on the lights but not the beep. Could it be dimmer switch related in a sense of it being the cause?? Anyone??

Jochen

Hi,
I had a similar problem with a Cupra R when I worked at Seat dealer. It turned out to be a loose earth wire under the battery tray on the chassis leg, there are a couple of 10mm nuts that hold earth wires here. if they become loose or corroded can cause backfeeding problems, I would check these, especially as you say the battery has been recently replaced? as they may have been disturbed?
Jochen.

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Hi,
I had a similar problem with a Cupra R when I worked at Seat dealer. It turned out to be a loose earth wire under the battery tray on the chassis leg, there are a couple of 10mm nuts that hold earth wires here. if they become loose or corroded can cause backfeeding problems, I would check these, especially as you say the battery has been recently replaced? as they may have been disturbed?
Jochen.

Excellent info mate, yeah under the bonnet it's pretty mucky in there, I think I spotted the earth earlier on and it looks like it's from the Titanic!! Would I need a new cable to test it or can I brush the crap off with a wire brush etc? I don't know much about this stuff, sorry :shrug:

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
You'll be better with a new one imo, id assume the resistance in the old lead will be high if its corroded at the end.

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
You'll be better with a new one imo, id assume the resistance in the old lead will be high if its corroded at the end.

Yep goin to sort out a new lead tomorrow

Just been out to the garage and connected the battery up, no lights or beeping but a play with the side lights and ignition to provoke it, well, provoked it :(

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
The resistance on it will change, with the more/less load you put on the electrical system, i wouldnt worry, just put a fresh un on and all will be well.

Giant AC1

Hi everyone, I have this exact same problem on my 1.6s.tried replacing the light switch but no use, will try this fix tomoz.......:think:

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Hi everyone, I have this exact same problem on my 1.6s.tried replacing the light switch but no use, will try this fix tomoz.......:think:
I never did find the cause to it, I took it for a long spin and everything seemed fine afterwards

The beeping and flashing only seems to happen for a couple of hours every two weeks (weird) so I haven't bothered to do anything about it

I've heard though that it's something to do with the ABS sensors and can be DIY'd, search the forum it's on here somewhere

Giant AC1

I never did find the cause to it, I took it for a long spin and everything seemed fine afterwards

The beeping and flashing only seems to happen for a couple of hours every two weeks (weird) so I haven't bothered to do anything about it

I've heard though that it's something to do with the ABS sensors and can be DIY'd, search the forum it's on here somewhere

Yeah,i found it after searching`dashboard lights'
my 8v jetta never gave me this sort of grief(R.I.P):)

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Yeah,i found it after searching`dashboard lights'
my 8v jetta never gave me this sort of grief(R.I.P):)
Lol my mk3 ibiza was brilliant and even gave me a super strength left leg

This is the only problem with my Leon (except the 'leak') however it had been sitting on someone's drive for 5 months before I bought it and started to flash and beep on day one

Hopefully it'll just go away for you

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise