Electrical Problem! (Lights, Indicators, Wipers)

kev24_uk

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me here!! I'm having a problem with my Seat Leon electrics.
I got in my car this evening and found that the lights wouldn't come on!
Sidelights are working fine, but not dipped lights. Main beam also works fine...
Also, indicators and wipers are not working....

I'm hoping all these are controlled by one main fuse somewhere....

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin.

djcTDi

Dec 15, 2004
London, UK
fuse box is at the right hand end of the dash, should be able to prise the cover off with your fingers and then there will be a key printed on the inside showing what fuses do what

im not sure, but i doubt the wipers, indicators and dipped beam share a fuse

kev24_uk

Yeah I found the fusebox and saw that all items are on different fuses...which worries me somewhat!!

Has anybody else experienced this or is there another fuse somewhere that controls all these things?

morgus

Nov 7, 2007
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me here!! I'm having a problem with my Seat Leon electrics.
I got in my car this evening and found that the lights wouldn't come on!
Sidelights are working fine, but not dipped lights. Main beam also works fine...
Also, indicators and wipers are not working....

I'm hoping all these are controlled by one main fuse somewhere....

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin.

Indicators and wipers share the same relay -possibly corrosion caused by water seeping in through a dodgy seal at front - common problem I think

kev24_uk

Hmm...just done a bit more checking in my car...it seems more serious...

Current list of itmes working/not working:
  • WORKING : Electric Windows
  • WORKING : Electric Mirrors
  • WORKING : Central Locking
  • WORKING : Full Beam Headlights
  • WORKING : Hazard Lights
  • NOT WORKING : Dipped Headlights
  • NOT WORKING : Wipers
  • NOT WORKING : Washers
  • NOT WORKING : Indicators
  • NOT WORKING : Fans/Heater (Though Climate Control display works)
  • NOT WORKING : Rear demister

There must be a link, anyone?

djcTDi

Dec 15, 2004
London, UK
from looking at some wiring diagrams for a mkiv golf they all seem to share the same "X contact relay" which is marked as relay 503 on the relay plate

however the dipped beam circuit doesn't use this relay... strange

anyway hope that helps

kev24_uk

Thanks!! I think its either going to be that or the ignition switch. It seems as if devices aren't powering up due to them not thinking the car has been started.

kev24_uk

Ok so the RAC guy has been....and done a temporary fix!

He took the dashboard off and said that the problem lies with the "bridge relay". He said that its not the actual relay itself that is the problem though and could be the panel that it plugs into?

Anybody got any ideas of cost on this?

paul6316

White K1
Oct 16, 2007
Got the same problem with my LCR, all the same issues except my dipped beam is working, anyone know where the relay 503 as desribed above is located?

Loud

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys, thread revival time.

I have this exact problem and was wondering if anyone found the solution as results haven't been posted in the thread. Only had the cupra since Thursday night and bar the drive home from picking it up I've not been able to drive it. Starting to regret selling the Honda in all honesty.

Please, any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

prowla

We've just had it happen too in our son's 04 Leon.
Calling out the AA.

philhauke

Iv had this happen to me this morning............

Can anyone tell me how they solved the problem???

prowla

In our case, it was a relay under the steering column that needed replacing (I found the info somewhere on the web), but the AA man found it too. It's one with "100" in big letters on it, and you have to take off a couple of panels around the sterring column to get at it.

The board it plugs into is prone to moisture, and we had to get a new relay; it was cheap (£15), but quite difficult to find (we had to ring around and eventually drove 30 miles to a dealer that had one in stock).

However, in testing (you can use one of the adjacent relays in place of the failed one to confirm that is the problem), our car has flipped into a failsafe mode with the central locking, so we're having to get a Seat tech to resolve that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuzzCagney

Dec 28, 2015
Hi guys. New poster here having recently bought a rather nice Mk1 Leon Cupra- which I love when I can use it!
Unfortunately it has the relay issues as above. My question is does replacing the relay generally sort the issue out? And does anybody have the part number for that relay?
Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yes it does mate, easy enough to get to if you follow the link in lees post above. I'm 99% sure the part number is 7M0951253A best thing to do is pull yours out and double check your part number is the same.

BuzzCagney

Dec 28, 2015
Thank you mate, I appreciate your help.
We have had the module out and slotted back in and it worked for a couple of hours but then failed again. Could that be a poor connection inside the relay would you think?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah quite possibly, sometimes the contacts inside the relay get sticky or weak, causing them to open or close when they shouldn't. Quite common for a relay to be intermittant before finally failing.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.