Electrics gone mad, SEAT service say it was caused by non standard headlights!!!

elevensix

One of the headlight bulbs on my gf's Leon BTCC blew (non HID), guy at Halfords fitted some new ones. About a day later fuel gauge started to behave erratically amongst other things, basically screwy electrics. Now the SEAT service is saying they are non standard and they have wrecked the computer.

They are saying it could cost £1000 to fix it!!!!

Could this really happen? And can fitting bulbs they consider non standard void the warranty and screw with the ECU etc...???!??!?

As long as the replacement lamps are of equal or equivalent specification then dealer is clutching at straws, you shopuld be fine unless you put in some thing like 150w replacements in. Though even in this case it should just fuse out rather than cause havoc.

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
What bulbs were they exactly? If halfords have sold (and esp if they fitted them) a bulb which has fecked it on their advice then surely it's halfords fault and they should foot the cost of repair.... thats what personal indeminity insurance is for! Tbh i doubt halfords would do this and think seat maybe being funts!

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
thats really odd can't see how the bulb would mess up the can bus system...unless the bulbs weren't fitted correctly? fuse maybe? and you need to provide more info such as bulbs were they w5w side lights or h7 dip lights? and i would take it to somewhere else other than your SEAT dealer too because they'r trying or seem to rip you off with 1k bill

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
One of the headlight bulbs on my gf's Leon BTCC blew (non HID), guy at Halfords fitted some new ones. About a day later fuel gauge started to behave erratically amongst other things, basically screwy electrics. Now the SEAT service is saying they are non standard and they have wrecked the computer.

They are saying it could cost £1000 to fix it!!!!

Could this really happen? And can fitting bulbs they consider non standard void the warranty and screw with the ECU etc...???!??!?

It is possible that a bulb filament could blow the computer [ it does on house hold circuits] but I would assume that the circuits would be protected in some way, what was the difference in wattage between std fit and your upgraded bulbs ?? dealer needs to prove what he is saying or try another dealership. I think this is the first instance on this site, and we have had fitted some changes to the lighting systems!! also check out other VAG marque sites to for simlar threads

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i am sorry to hear about your problems mate ,
but reading threads like this make me laugh from what dealers will say and do to get out of warranty claims.
I mean come on changing bulbs messing up ther cars computer.
Best thing to do if i were you is contact halfords who changed your bulb and ask the store manager to write you a letter stating that they used the correct bulb and fitting guide , that will at least mean you deal direct with SEAT , then ask SEAT for a free service as a good will gesture for giving you the run around and making you prove that the car is at fault and not the bulb.
Good luck mate.