Emergency braking when parking

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
I've had a few issues recently where the car slams on and gives me and passengers almost whip last when either parking on my drive close to a fence OR when reversing off a friend's drive which is rather steep.

I can only assume it thinks I'm going to crash or hit something, which I'm not.

It's so annoying that in adding it to the reasons to reject.

I'm also finding it going mad beeping and the screen shows red lines on the parking sensors screen when there is absolutely nothing next to me. The car was very clean when this happened twice in 1 day so no dirt issues.

This car is just getting worse.

Reactions: Yaz2010 and JonnyT

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
My friend has it in previous Octavia model from 2019. It did the same when parking couple of times. It's one of his complaints about the car

I switch off Emergency braking when starting the car

Last edited:

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Yep, as Agnes says just switch off emergency brake assist. Wait until you are driving somewhere like Cornwall on narrow, hedge lined roads and need to reverse back to a passing place to let a car past 🙄😂. My previous Golf was detecting every leaf and twig, the car braking each time 💩. I've left it on in the Formentor for now until I'm back down there in July...

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
That's why I disable 4 things before switching on the engine: start/stop, lane assist, emergency braking and SOS. Last one probably doesn't need disabling, but I do it with other 3, just to make sure my car won't give me heart attack or cause accident. And that's why I will be getting 3-5 year old car next time, to make sure it doesn't have all these "assistants".

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
That's why I disable 4 things before switching on the engine: start/stop, lane assist, emergency braking and SOS. Last one probably doesn't need disabling, but I do it with other 3, just to make sure my car won't give me heart attack or cause accident. And that's why I will be getting 3-5 year old car next time, to make sure it doesn't have all these "assistants".
Amen,. Couldn't agree more.

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Yes but then it's another thing to do along with disabling the stop start. Frustrating
Don't mind the stop/start tbh, not had any issues. One thing that is different is that in my Golf you could move the steering wheel slightly and it would restart. Useful for when traffic lights are about to change, rather than having to press the accelerator to initiate. Formentor doesn't do this, go figure.

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
Can’t understand why people turn off stop/start. It works absolutely fine IMO and if you really don’t want it to cut in (you know you’re coming to a standstill for just a few seconds) then flip the gearbox into S...

Lane assist was annoying to begin with but I’m getting used to it now - it does give you a false nudge sometimes but nothing scary, and actually other times it’s been pretty impressive.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hopefully this can be coded out. Has anyone tried?

Can’t be coded out. Most coding on the Formentor is restricted under something called SPD.

Most systems are locked down and the only one I know of currently thst can be coded out us the Soundaktor. Even then it only accepts the changes if the bonnet is open .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Can’t understand why people turn off stop/start. It works absolutely fine IMO and if you really don’t want it to cut in (you know you’re coming to a standstill for just a few seconds) then flip the gearbox into S...

Lane assist was annoying to begin with but I’m getting used to it now - it does give you a false nudge sometimes but nothing scary, and actually other times it’s been pretty impressive.
So isn't it easier to just switch off start/stop at the start, instead of changing from D to S number of times per drive? It's extra activity before roundabout, instead of concetrating on traffic. I switch off all helpers, so I don't waste my time/concentration controlling them. I don't do a lot of town traffic, so I doubt it will save me petrol and prefer not to be cut off approaching junction or roundabout.

There are cars where start/stop worked pretty great for me or had extra functions like changing from 8 to 4 cylinders when under light load. And this saved actual petrol on motorway run.

Reactions: rob280

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
So isn't it easier to just switch off start/stop at the start, instead of changing from D to S number of times per drive? It's extra activity before roundabout, instead of concetrating on traffic. I switch off all helpers, so I don't waste my time/concentration controlling them. I don't do a lot of town traffic, so I doubt it will save me petrol and prefer not to be cut off approaching junction or roundabout.

There are cars where start/stop worked pretty great for me or had extra functions like changing from 8 to 4 cylinders when under light load. And this saved actual petrol on motorway run.

Horses for courses then. In my opinion stop/start is useful more times than it isn’t. In your case it’s the opposite!

By the way, I find flicking the gearbox into S quite a natural thing anyway. It often helps the DSG box be in the right gear when pulling away again.

Reactions: Baldiesimo

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Don't mind the stop/start tbh, not had any issues. One thing that is different is that in my Golf you could move the steering wheel slightly and it would restart. Useful for when traffic lights are about to change, rather than having to press the accelerator to initiate. Formentor doesn't do this, go figure.
If you have traffic in front though your engine should start when the traffic in front sets off via your front radar

Reactions: Baldiesimo

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
I've had a few issues recently where the car slams on and gives me and passengers almost whip last when either parking on my drive close to a fence OR when reversing off a friend's drive which is rather steep.

I can only assume it thinks I'm going to crash or hit something, which I'm not.

It's so annoying that in adding it to the reasons to reject.

I'm also finding it going mad beeping and the screen shows red lines on the parking sensors screen when there is absolutely nothing next to me. The car was very clean when this happened twice in 1 day so no dirt issues.

This car is just getting worse.
So the emergency braking works even down to a standstill? I was under the assumption that under a certain mph the emergency braking didn't work..? Maybe I'm thinking about my old Leon. So if it thinks your going to hit it will stop you even if your only going say 4mph?

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
So the emergency braking works even down to a standstill? I was under the assumption that under a certain mph the emergency braking didn't work..? Maybe I'm thinking about my old Leon. So if it thinks your going to hit it will stop you even if your only going say 4mph?
Yes, this is exactly what happens.

I find Stop start annoying, its too eager to stop and start constantly in slow moving traffic.

I when it starts the wipers momentarily stop, as do the windows. I just dont want it full stop.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Yes, if you are too close to the car next to you, it can emergency brake. To be honest, I am ok with that. I'd rather car braked for me instead of hitting the car next to me.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Yes, if you are too close to the car next to you, it can emergency brake. To be honest, I am ok with that. I'd rather car braked for me instead of hitting the car next to me.
Yeah I don't mind it just wanted it clarifying that there is no minimum speed that it works at. I thought there was like a speed it wouldn't work under

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah mine often brakes when I am parking behind the wife on the drive, usually before the parking sensors are showing red