engine flush

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
Hi, done a bit of research and had a few conversations with mechanic mates etc but cant decide whether or not I should use an engine flush when servicing my LCR, the reason for not using a flush was because it may strip the engine of various essentials that need to be in there

opinions please!!!

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
If its hot it shouldnt be much of a problem and think about if any flush is left in what will it do to the fresh oil you refill it with. If you want it seriously clean why not drop the sump and clean it out as im sure there will be a bit of gunk and fit a magnetic sump plug like the ECS one awesome gti do

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
no need to flush, just drain the oil when it is hot, will come out with ease, instead of flushing just change the oil more regularly if you really want to

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Or hot oil change the oil, fill with cheap assed oil, drive for 500 miles, change this hot too, then fill with good oil.

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
Sounds pretty conclusive so far. Come to think of it after i rebuilt my series 1 RST the guy who fitted the hybrid told me that to get the engine really cleaned out I should run it for 500 miles on TDI oil the put the good stuff in, prob very different in these engines though.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
TDi oil is good advice, its full of detergents. Its also fine to use in the 1.8T. VWs own 504/507 oil is very good and contains all of the diesel detergents.

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
TDi oil is good advice, its full of detergents. Its also fine to use in the 1.8T. VWs own 504/507 oil is very good and contains all of the diesel detergents.

So maybe worth a try then. Do you reckon there could be any downsides to an engine thats done nearly 60k?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have a 2003 LCR and an B7 Audi 2.0 TDI, these both get the same Millers XF long life.

search for ' oil anlysis ' on here to see what I think/how I found is oil

evokid

Aug 28, 2009
Interesting post, so what's a good aftermarket tdi oil to put in to try?
May try this on my lc for 500 miles then change for good synthetic.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Interesting post, so what's a good aftermarket tdi oil to put in to try?
May try this on my lc for 500 miles then change for good synthetic.

The VAG Quantum Longlife III oil that I referenced before is a good quality synthetic with the added benefit of high detergency. There is no need to change it after 500 miles.

Gravesie-363

LCR 225
Aug 4, 2009
Darlington
As daft as it sounds, i used to mix a little diesel oil in with my corsa oil!

Done that twice over 500 miles and then removed the rocker cover, it was spotless!

Then put decent oil in and changed it regularly, never had any problems with that :)

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I used the wyns engine flush in my engine last year when i changed the oil the big 40,000 mile service!!!

I use it every couple of years its not done any harm to my engines at all.

Worth a go in my opinion, only fast idle don't take it out for a drive or anything!!!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I used the wyns engine flush in my engine last year when i changed the oil the big 40,000 mile service!!!

I use it every couple of years its not done any harm to my engines at all.

Worth a go in my opinion, only fast idle don't take it out for a drive or anything!!!

No disrespect but how do you know how your engines wearing?
Do you get your oil sampled?

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
Right I posted the original question because I'm about to service my LCR however I noticed today that the service countdown had gone from 1500 miles to service when I got in the car this morning to the flashing service when I got in the car this evening. Any ideas why this happened??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.