Engine Management Light - Cat?

scottca

Hi All,

Hope you can help.

Had the Engine management light pop on and off a couple of times, RAC Came out and said it looks like the lambda or cat but i should take it for a full diagnostics to narrow down the problem.

I had my downpipe and Cat changed about 16 months ago (still under warenty), It was replaced with a 2 piece as the original was only 1?. It was only the downpipe that needed replacing but as a result, obviously had to get them both done.

I also had a lambda sensor replaced about 8 months ago as the engine management light came on.

Took it in for a full diagnostics (not main dealer, however is a VW/Audi specalist) and they said a fault is showing with the "bank 1 cat" which is on the manifold.

I am a little confused, they advised that its not the cat under the car, but the one on the actual manifold? Do I have 2 cats??

The cat which I had changed is still under warrenty with the garage I had it done with, but im a little confused about which cat is actually at fault? I wasnt aware there was a cat on the manifold?

My Vehicle is a Seat Leon 1.6SX 04 Plate. If it helps I think the Engine code is BCB ?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

scottca

Thanks James,

The guy definately said its "Bank 1 Cat" and thats what he has written on the paperwork. He definately said on the phone its the Cat.

Do you think I should go and get the Cat replaced under its warrenty anyway?

When I had the lambda changed it was Bank 1 that was causing the issues..

Im so confused! Sorry im not the most car savvy person in the world - Just trying to understand whether or not I need to shell out a few hundred pounds!

Edit: When I asked him directly when I went to pick up the car, he said it was the "cat on the manifold" if that helps?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
bank 1 would presume a sensor failure not the cat, if it was bank 2 measured after the cat then i would say this could be the issue... may not be the sensor but the wiring to it if its been replaced already...

ask them for the code and post it on here mate...

cat on the manifold.... doesnt exist, the cat is after the manifold and after the downpipe.

where you based?

scottca

Hi,

Just phoned the garage - He confimed its definately not the Lambda, its the Cat on the Manifold - said it was called the "manicat" ?

Thanks,

Craig

scottca

Hi James,

Im in Milton Keynes

Is the wiring to the lambda something I can check?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
if you have some car knowledge then yes mate... under car, see the exhaust downpipe there will be a probe befor and after the cat, its screwed into the cat...

distance away from me but see in my signiture if you need help, maybe worth the distance travelling??

if you want give me a text on 07958937929.....

scottca

Thanks James much appreciated - Ill take a look as its going to be ok weather this weekend!

Will I need the car up on a ramp, or is it reachable?

Ill try and get the VAG code but I dont hold out much hope!. Trying to search for information on a "manicat" as thats what he said it was last time I called him

scottca

ahh ok, may be difficult then :(

Found ths post

Im not allowed to post urls so hopefully this works:

http ://www .seatcupra. net/forums/showthread.php?p=2373584

I know its not the same problem but mentions the "primary cat in the manifold" - does that mean there is potentially a second cat? or is that THE cat thats on my car?

scottca

Hi All,

Been phoning various garages and getting completely mixed signals - can anyone confirm if I do have a manicat and a cat under the car ? or whether its only 1?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

scottca

Thanks Mate,

The cat is still under warrenty so will take it to be replaced - the dealer must be trying to get me to shell out £360 for a new manifold for no reason then! nice!

dont think ill be returning anytime soon!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members