engine noise update?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
thought id start a new thread to make thing easier as the other got a little congested

right, basically i have a whistling/whining noise from engine bay, more whistling.

had a split hose under inlet manny, sorted and fixed that today, full service done today by myself aswell...

took the forge dv off, tested the piston inside, from forges guide this needs servicing as the valve doesnt stay up when held by vaccuum.

could this cause a whistling sound when building up revs... it only happens when on boost, if i rev gently above 3k then no noise, if i bost above 3k then whistling appears

has the stethoscope on the pulleys, alternator, starter motor, downpipe near the gasket, actuator and no noise is apparent??

whaddya reckon?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yeah possibly, i have noticed a different noise between trying dump valves recently.

What did you replace the torn hose with? Silicone?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
non oem vacuum hose mate, silicon wouldnt have been bendy enough, the vac hose is wrapped in material to strengthen aswell.

just thinking if the dv is not holding vaccum then it must have to escape somewhere, throught the seals on the dv maybe? causing the noise.....

well im thinking the dv as it definatly doesnt hold the piston up when vacummed, or a leaky downpipe gasket.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
goes to 1350 mbar, drops off quickly when peaked... doesnt seem to be holding boost. characteristic of a nacked dv.. but wheres the bloody noise coming from

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
fv could coulse that. vac hose you could look for the tt one, bit better i think. or is this the intercooler return pipe im thinking of.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
nope, binned the bosch naff when i got the forge... i have a servicing kit on the way so hopefully this will sort it, the piston definatly doesnt stay up when pushed and covering the vac nipple on the top of the dv.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
nope, binned the bosch naff when i got the forge... i have a servicing kit on the way so hopefully this will sort it, the piston definatly doesnt stay up when pushed and covering the vac nipple on the top of the dv.

Lol. If it comes to it I can send you a standard one to try :)

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
cheers matey, lets see what the servicing does, i think the diaphragm on the forge is goosed ao its not holding the piston up... would be losing boost form this and not holding boost very well.... fook knows if this would cause a whistling like.

p.s you been to kfc a bit recently adam???

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
hopefully, if not then a new ones on the cards... should do these forge thingys dont usually fail beyond repair.

may try a different spring aswell....

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Have you got green at the mo?

I'm getting P-torque stage 2 like yours and was wondering if I needed to get a yellow or stick with the green.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yeah mines standard and has a green, be good to know if the yellow is better....its quite hard to work it out on the Forge site as the stated PSI isnt actually boost psi like you read on a gauge [if that makes sense]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members