Engine oil consumption

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Do any of you guys have a problem with the engine using much oil.I ask because I have to put around half a litre in mine every 6 months or so_Or is this amount normal because Diesel cars use engine oil as a matter of course.
Do you think this is a little excessive in a 57 plate fr that has only covered 10k. Cheers.

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
i checked my fr tdi the other weekend and was shocked to see it was under half ! The worst bit was going to halfrauds and being told i should i need this oil.. which cost £17 a litre!!

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
cheapest place i ever found for engine old was Costco. They don't always have the specific engine old our TDi's with DPFs need, but they once sold a triple pack of 5w-30 castrol Edge for £16. 3 litres for £16 defo not bad :)

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Use the stealers.I use them when I need topping up.I buy it 1 litre at a time for about 8 quid.Guess it's about right price and they not going to sell me any old c**p are they.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
The problem about the £16 for 3 litres is that Costco don't always stock that specific oil. So u really need to buy it straight away once you see it on shelves. but 3 litres will last a while.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Do any of you guys have a problem with the engine using much oil.I ask because I have to put around half a litre in mine every 6 months or so_Or is this amount normal because Diesel cars use engine oil as a matter of course.
Do you think this is a little excessive in a 57 plate fr that has only covered 10k. Cheers.
I seem to recall you saying in a MPG thread that you get low 30's to mid 30's from your FR, if thats the case then maybe your right foot is the main culprit?

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
Mine seems pretty oil thirsty too- it was serviced last July and in October when it went in for yet more repairs (rubbing noise from front left wheel), it'd used up 1.2l of oil, having driven about 3,000 miles. I checked the oil level last weekend and its right down at the bottom end of low, so I'll need to put in quite a bit more oil.

I bought some oil from the local dealer today and once I got home I noticed that its not officially the right oil- its Castrol which conforms to VW standard "505 00".... but I need 501 00, 502 00 or 504 00 according to my manual (petrol FR). It looks like 505 00 is for diesels.

To be fair , I think the 10W-40 rating of the oil they sold me is OK, so I guess it isn't too far off.

Anyone got any comments on whether its a problem to put this oil in?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.