Engine rattle on start up / tick over / Leon 1.4 EHybrid

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
Hi All, I have a 2020 leon ehybrid and when the engine is started and is ticking over it sounds screwed. like a loud rattling noise as if something mechanical is worn / loose!! It has been to seat this week and i was told it was a known issue and that a software update fixes it :LOL: I laughed a bit as i've never heard anything so stupid before! So car was updated and funnily enough the same rattling noise is there.
Also why i was there i met a man with exactly the same faults (i say faults as we both have exactly the same and will pop them down at the end) and exactly the same car (apart from his was red)

So my question is to everyone that owns one is! does everyone's sound like this as surely it is not right and there must be something wrong.

The faults i have which i am attempting to get fixed.
Engine rattles like bearings / valves arer screwed.
media system turns itself off and will not come back on.
inside lighting on the doors will not work.

Anyone else have these faults as the other bloke i met had identical issues.

Cheers in advance for any replys, Darren.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Another issue known on certain VW group engines (1.0 & 1.4 TSi) is the cam exhaust variator bolt unscrewing themselves, causing a rattle. Normally an oil leak around the cambelt area is a telltale sign of this.
bolts - Copy.jpg

Keith Roberts

Jul 29, 2019
Strange you have just posted this. My car has been to the dealers twice for this fault in the last few weeks. It’s only really noticeable when the engine first starts in Hybrid mode and sounds very much like a big end bearing on its way out at idle.

i also recorded the knocking however as the car reverts to battery operation and the ICE switches of at junctions etc when warm I have been unable to get out and record under the bonnet.

I did however take the Seat Master tech out who heard the knocking and recommended booking the car in. His initial thought was an issue with the VVT system but there are no faults recorded and the engine runs without problems or engine lights.

when i collected the car after two days advised that a software update had been done and all was well. Only travelled one mile and at the roundabout the rattling was still there. Straight back to the dealer and they booked it in for three days to plug the car in and speak to the technicians at Milton Keynes.

Went to collect the car apparently there is nothing wrong with it and it’s a characteristic of the hybrid system. (Strange I’ve never had an issue with a FR 1.4 tsi I had as a loan car!)

Anyway there was a line to the effect that it was all ok on the car work sheet / report.

As an ex mechanical engineer and coming from driving cars in the late 60’s sounds very much like a bottom end knock but they normally appeared when the engine was hot and extremely thin not as now with a new tight engine with maximum oil pressur.

At least if the engine fails it’s been recorded a couple of times and now other owners have identified the same problem.

Cheers

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
Hi Keith,
I had the same!!!!!

Went to collect the car apparently there is nothing wrong with it and it’s a characteristic of the hybrid system. (Strange I’ve never had an issue with a FR 1.4 tsi I had as a loan car!)

they also done a software update and said all was well and it was how it shoud be! i am waiting to get it booked in again at the moment and will post here if anything is found / repaired.

i actually laughed when i was told a software update would cure it, i no a bit about engines and interesting you have mentioned bottom end as i said the same to seat when i first brought it in.

Apr 22, 2023
I have a 1.4 Hybriad as well Aug 2021 with only 8K miles, I don't have anywhere the same level of noise, I do notice a rattly roughness to it - noticeable when the engine first starts/drives off if it starts directly into ICE when the battery is low.

To be honest, in the last three years, I've been through a 2021 Golf (a software heartache) and a 2020 Tiguan (with a persistent rattle/vibration at 2,500 revs when under load) of two. This is the least annoying recent car so far!

If I think back to my prior 2016 Golf I remember its TSI engine sounding a bit rough when cold too, but nowhere near like the video (maybe I've that to look forward to when it gets a bit more wear!)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise