Engine sign on the dash has appeared

Columbo

Started the car today and the yellow engine light on the dashboard appeared and has stayed on.

The car felt all juttery and isn't running smoothly like usual

any information on wot it could be would be really helpful

Thanx

Deleted member 13581

Its your engine management light. Somethings registered on the ECU for it to appear.

Where are you in the counrty? If you have someone local that could give it a scan on VAG-COM that will tell you what it is.

Failing that, its into the dealer for a diagnostic check.

Columbo

thank oj and andy

well i brought it from an independent garage and its goin in for some stuff to be put right and its got a 6 month warranty so reckon they'll fix it?

Reckon its alright to drive cause of goin work on monday cause its worried me with the jilltin

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
I've got a ibiza 1.2 s

Strongly suggest you post in the help section. It'll probably be more help then taking it to a garage, who will fix it, charge you a bomb and give you some kind of Gaff explanation as to what was wrong. Besides that, the combined experience of all the good mechanics on here is probably worth, in the very least, a chance.

Columbo

i've been looking for the help section but don't no where it is could ya sent me a link

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
i've been looking for the help section but don't no where it is could ya sent me a link

Just above where the threads begin, there will be a black button, white writing, on the left hand side of the screen that says 'New Thread' click it and put in the subject box something like 'need vag-com urgently in <insert place name> please.' then put in exactly what you put in at the top here. Hopefully that'll help :)

CovCupra

Nov 10, 2009
Midlands
Have you filled up with Asda petrol? That's put mine on twice now

Had a lot of problems recently on my cupra with this light coming on. THe dealer is struggling to fix the fault. I keep getting told its a fault on the oxygen sensor on the exhaust. But I'm also from west midlands, and generally fill up at Asda. Could the oxygen sensor and fuel be related?:blink:

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Had a lot of problems recently on my cupra with this light coming on. THe dealer is struggling to fix the fault. I keep getting told its a fault on the oxygen sensor on the exhaust. But I'm also from west midlands, and generally fill up at Asda. Could the oxygen sensor and fuel be related?:blink:

I'm pretty sure it must be related. I went to Asda when i first got the car and noticed it was running quite rough then when i was driving it quite hard on the motorway the engine light came on and it was reset by my mate who works at rac and he said it is likely to be cheap supermarket petrol. i used Shell after for a few months and the engine was running fine but had no choice but to use asda again because i was running out and sure enough the light came on again ! I stick to shell now!

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
hi mate i had this, its a coil pack on top of one of the plugs burnt out!! or burning out. you can either get it plugged in to tell you which one or whip the engine cover off and look at them all. you will soon smell the bad one. smells like burnt plastic. i had a new one fitted and cost me £45. its a common fault, hope this helps.

stig..

Columbo

Thanx all but think its somethin do with the exhaust system, cause the car is judderin and i opened the bonnet and the engine is really shakin whilst there doesn't seem to be any fumes comin from the exhaust, don't no if anyone knows what it is

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Thanx all but think its somethin do with the exhaust system, cause the car is judderin and i opened the bonnet and the engine is really shakin whilst there doesn't seem to be any fumes comin from the exhaust, don't no if anyone knows what it is

That's even more a sign of a failed coil pack, it sounds like your engine is running on three cylinders and not liking it.

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
like my friend says it really sounds like shes not runing on all cyclinders. it could be coil pack, leads or even the plugs themselves. have you blown a fuse on the drivers side fuse box ? when my coil pack went it took out a fuse !!! and keep blowing it until i got a new coil. the only real way to tell it have the top off the engine, the plastic cover and have a peep. you mention exhaust, you cant really see exhaust unless engine is knackered or its cold. try puting ur hand over the end and you can tell if its coming out and also wether you have a blown exhaust. hope this helps ..

stig..

mark_keeling52

I had this light come on my car and it was just the coolant temperature sensor not working (told by local dealer it wasn't a major issue if the car was running fine) and not had any issues so just leaving it to the next service, so it could be anything. (My Cupra is for sale now btw, 05 plate 1.8T, 35k, FDSH inc cam belt, message me for more info £7250 ono)

Columbo

Took it the garage and got it back tonight and told the garage wha all you thought it was (coil pack) and you guys were right and now its running sweet as a nut

So thanx to all who have given some feedback on the problem

Thanx guys

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.