engine start blocked by immobiliser

easyryder1978

Hi. i took the instrument cluster out of my girlfreinds ibiza pd 130 as the fuel gauge was not working. plugged it back in afgain and now the car will turn over but cuts out a second later. i have vag-com is there anything i can do to sort it out? the light with the car and a key has lit up. i assume this is the immobiliser light. any response would be greatly appreciated. thanks. Glyn

easyryder1978

i have plugged in the vag com and has had two codes come up.

17978 engine start blocked by immobiliser

any suggestions?

easyryder1978

no i did not have to remove the steering wheel. the dash has been faulty since we had the car but the car has been running fine until dim wit here decided to remove the dash! :confused:

easyryder1978

the only plugs i removed are the ones on the back of the cluster. i did put the key in the ignition tho to turn off the steering lock while it was unplugged.

easyryder1978

would a faulty dash pod cause the imobiliser to kick in? i am thinking of getting the pod sent off for repair and getting the car towed to the nearest seat garage to get them to sort it. or would it be best to take the car to the dealers first?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Seat will charge a lot for fitting an instrument cluster. Its about £350 + fitting + vat for a recon one. I know because im having one fitted next week under waranty! Try doing a cold reset as mentioned in the link above. If that doesnt work the cluster could need recoding (doubtfull but possible). I have never removed the cluster from a mk4, but have done several times on a mk3, and never had any problems with the cluster loosing its coding, so hopefully a cold reset will sort it. (disconect battery, wait 2 hrs, reconect battery). Just make sure youve got the radio code (in the radio manual). Good luck!

easyryder1978

ok thanks for the advice. The battery has been disconnected by the missus this morning will have another go tonight. How does the immobiliser get triggerd? Is there some sort of sensor near the ignition or something

easyryder1978

would the dash from a 2003 petrol ibiza fit on the diesel? I have seen one on ebay the only diff is there is no oil temp or voltage gauge on the dash.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
If you want a replacement, do a search in google for "motors in motion", They are a VAG group dismantler, they'll probably have one. Your could probably be fixed though. Did you read through my thread above?

easyryder1978

yes i have read through your thread but i dont have a soldering iron and i am not sure about taking the thing apart. anyhow i have got more of an issue with why the immobiliser wont let the car start. we have left the battery off thro the day and i have connected it back up and still the immobiliser light is on. So if anyone has any theories i would be real happy to hear them. If not then looks like we will be towing the bloomin thing to the stealers.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
The imobiliser is triggered by RFID tag in the key fob. It is read by a small induction coil next to the ignition and sends the code to the ECU.

The only suggestions I can think of are;

Try the spare key
Remove the instrument cluster and see if any wires have come loose around the stering column.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
yes i have read through your thread but i dont have a soldering iron and i am not sure about taking the thing apart. anyhow i have got more of an issue with why the immobiliser wont let the car start. we have left the battery off thro the day and i have connected it back up and still the immobiliser light is on. So if anyone has any theories i would be real happy to hear them. If not then looks like we will be towing the bloomin thing to the stealers.

My immobiliser light was randomly coming on, actually , I was immobilised a few times. All caused by a dodged connection.

Last edited:

easyryder1978

ok tried one more time and hey presto!. For some reason its workin again now. We gonna live without fuel gauge for a while and use the trip meter as a rough gauge. Thankyou to everyone who replied with suggestions.

easyryder1978

ok tried one more time and hey presto!. For some reason its workin again now. We gonna live without fuel gauge for a while and use the trip meter as a rough gauge. Thankyou to everyone who replied with suggestions.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members