engine vibrations

Altteeaas

Can anyone help. My freetrack 170 tdi has developed a vibration which seems to come from the engine. It is most noiticeable on the motorway between 2000 and 2500rpm in 5th and 6th gear, the engine sounds boomy and vibrations come through the car enough to make reg plates in rear view mirror unreadable. You can drive through it if you go well over speed limit.
Any ideas thanks David.

mikko22

hi i have seat altea 1,9tdi sport reference 2006,, i have same problem as u with the vibrations,i changed flywheel bu problem is still there, i spend all ready over 1000pounds fix it.. i live in watford, but im originally from slovakia. i need sort it out this problem as well,
ill be happy if somebody lives around and can help me.

mikko22

tdi engine vibrations,, seat altea 1,9tdi

hello..
i have got seat altea 1,9tdi sport reference 2006..
i wonder if you can help me, i have got the problem with the engine.. i ve been trying to have it fixed, i put the car into the garages few times already but the problem hasn't stopped.. the problem is that, if i drive and im changing the gear in the low torgues from low speed to higher, (3-4, 4-5) i feel vibration ( shaking ) of the engine and in the car as a whole.. The vibration appers mainly in the low tourgue, during the acceleration but in the higher torgue ( 2000ish ) when I change the gear to higher i dont feel anything at all... this car was bought a year ago with the 55000 milage then. I havent noticed this problem after I bought it, because this car used to be used only for short distances only. i ve noticed that after driving longer distance myself ( 2 hours ).. I drived this car twice to my country , which was about a 1000miles each way.
this problem occurs once the engine has been warmed up ( let say 15min after starting the cold engine)..
i had the engine tuned by the profesional company ( flushremapping) a couple months ago a the problem still exists. The new clutch flywheel has been replaced in an order to get rid of the problem and also there is a new cambelt.. After asking about this problem, each garage keep saying that there is a different problem and Im fed up..I ve been loooking for the answer on the different forums online and i found one good one ( tdiclub.com) where I found out that there may be a problem with : cvjoints, enginemount, injection, flywheel...so therefore I had the clutch changed , i cleaned the injections with the fuel cleaner too.
I spent already over £1000 trying to fix it but as you can see,it didnt work. So since then Iam being careful where which garage im going to put my car next time in. It is a really good car and I just want to have it fixed. can somebody help me?? i live in watford(herts)

Altteeaas

my local garage( not seat) has heard noise and thinks it maybe exhaust touching bodywork they will check soon i will post when i know answer

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
hello..
i have got seat altea 1,9tdi sport reference 2006..
i wonder if you can help me, i have got the problem with the engine.. i ve been trying to have it fixed, i put the car into the garages few times already but the problem hasn't stopped.. the problem is that, if i drive and im changing the gear in the low torgues from low speed to higher, (3-4, 4-5) i feel vibration ( shaking ) of the engine and in the car as a whole.. The vibration appers mainly in the low tourgue, during the acceleration but in the higher torgue ( 2000ish ) when I change the gear to higher i dont feel anything at all... this car was bought a year ago with the 55000 milage then. I havent noticed this problem after I bought it, because this car used to be used only for short distances only. i ve noticed that after driving longer distance myself ( 2 hours ).. I drived this car twice to my country , which was about a 1000miles each way.
this problem occurs once the engine has been warmed up ( let say 15min after starting the cold engine)..
i had the engine tuned by the profesional company ( flushremapping) a couple months ago a the problem still exists. The new clutch flywheel has been replaced in an order to get rid of the problem and also there is a new cambelt.. After asking about this problem, each garage keep saying that there is a different problem and Im fed up..I ve been loooking for the answer on the different forums online and i found one good one ( tdiclub.com) where I found out that there may be a problem with : cvjoints, enginemount, injection, flywheel...so therefore I had the clutch changed , i cleaned the injections with the fuel cleaner too.
I spent already over £1000 trying to fix it but as you can see,it didnt work. So since then Iam being careful where which garage im going to put my car next time in. It is a really good car and I just want to have it fixed. can somebody help me?? i live in watford(herts)

It could be this?

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=290265&highlight=stuttering+solved

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Can anyone help. My freetrack 170 tdi has developed a vibration which seems to come from the engine. It is most noiticeable on the motorway between 2000 and 2500rpm in 5th and 6th gear, the engine sounds boomy and vibrations come through the car enough to make reg plates in rear view mirror unreadable. You can drive through it if you go well over speed limit.
Any ideas thanks David.

My Wife has the same problem touching 70 mph the car is shaking! Had a car health check and they noticed that there is a flat spot on one of the rear alloys. So going to remedy that first and balance and track the car from ETS (NOT ATS) in Newark, They have the Hunter alignment equipment supposed to be the bee knees. Will be changing two tyre as well! So a lot of answers to solve the issues!

Kinjamin

sxtrail

my local garage( not seat) has heard noise and thinks it maybe exhaust touching bodywork they will check soon i will post when i know answer
Hi Altteeaas,

Did you get this problem sorted? If so, what was it? I have the same problem on a Freetrack I've just bought. Accelerating in 5th and 6th at around 2.25 revs causing a terrible vibration and droning noise.

Thanks! :)

mikko22

Hi Altteeaas,

Did you get this problem sorted? If so, what was it? I have the same problem on a Freetrack I've just bought. Accelerating in 5th and 6th at around 2.25 revs causing a terrible vibration and droning noise.

hi , i still didnt fix it yet. when is your engine cold in the mornig ,are u feel vibrations as well?? mein just when is warmed up(90degrease). my mechanic have been trying find out, he said is something with fuel system, when he disconected fuel temperature sensor , after that i couldnt feel any vibrations at all,just on computer showed more mpg. so if u try this first and u will see. other thing is check all injectors , .....many people fixed by injectors(washers)

djinkinson

Hi Altteeaas,

Hi! I also have this same problem on a Freetrack. Vibration starts at around 2500 and disappears by 3000 revs. Most noticeable in 5th and 6th but also feel it in 4th - but as revs rise faster it's less noticeable. Has anyone got to the bottom of this yet? One suggestion seems to be an out of balance propshaft but as the vibration is linked to engine revs and the propshaft speed is linked to road speed, I can't see how the propshaft could be the cause.

sxtrail

Hi! I also have this same problem on a Freetrack. Vibration starts at around 2500 and disappears by 3000 revs. Most noticeable in 5th and 6th but also feel it in 4th - but as revs rise faster it's less noticeable. Has anyone got to the bottom of this yet? One suggestion seems to be an out of balance propshaft but as the vibration is linked to engine revs and the propshaft speed is linked to road speed, I can't see how the propshaft could be the cause.
Hi there!

Yep, I've now fixed this problem and it's made a huge difference to the car. It was caused by the counterweight/coupling that sits between the propshaft and the haldex unit at the rear. It's a round lump of metal with a large rubber section that floats in the middle to reduce vibrations. There should be movement in this rubber section but mine was completely seized. The new part cost me more than £200 but has made the car much more pleasant to drive as it has eliminated drones/rumbles/vibrations.

I replaced the part with help from a mechanic friend and it was fairly straightforward (up to 1 hours work at the most).

Jennings SEAT in Middlesbrough tried to rip me off big time as they wanted £501 to replace this coupling. That equates to well over £300 in labour for a job that would be quite simple for them (45 minutes).

Anyway, hope that helps!

djinkinson

Still having this problem but today, after 60 min drive on M62 and 20+C air temp, I realised the problem had gone away!! No vibration in 4th/5th 6th gears no matter how hard I accelerated. So maybe this suggests ignition/timing linked to engine temp? I'll try the local dealer and see what they have to say - prop-shaft first probably, then flywheel, then re-flash the ECU? I'll think I'll suggest they do it the other way round - probably cheaper!

djinkinson

Hi

Finally got to the solution. Propshaft damper has seized as others have posted.

Sounds to be a well known problem as there was another Freetrack on the
hoist at Crewe Seat with the same problem when I was there. See also the Audi Allroad forum -
(sorry can't post the URL as I'm too new to the forum - but just Google 'Audi Allroad vibration').

Same drive train as Freetrack - and exactly the same problem. Apparently, just last week Seat/VAG brought out a modified damper - getting mine fitted later this week - so it's clearly been a known problem for some time. Shame it's gone beyond the warranty!

Also a shame Seat/VAG didn't do the decent think and recall all Haldex cars!! As they've now had to bring out the modified damper I think I'll drop them a line and suggest some contribution to the cost - it's obviously a bit of bad engineering design they should have put right before now!

DJ

dkw

Jan 23, 2009
Ive just purchased a 1.9tdi and noticed theres a lot of vibration through the clutch pedal when resting my foot on it prior to depressing it. Now this is the first diesel I have owned and driven for any decent length of time so it might be normal, but it is slightly worrying.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.