EPC Error

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
So like many of us my car has been sitting idle, apart for going shopping, in the driveway pretty much for the past 2 and a half months. I noticed recently there was an EPC error light on the dash and was getting a Stop Start error message when starting the car. I have noticed the past couple of times that the engine seems gutless and completely lacking in any power.

So I had to go to my work today to pick something up so called my local Seat dealer to see what needed to be done. I was told there have been a lot of people with the same issue. Apparently with the car sitting idle the turbo has siezed, which would explain the loss of power. It's booked in for next Thursday (the earliest I could make it) for a diagnostic check but they said the parts are on back order from Spain atm.

Has anyone else had this issue? I find it difficult to understand why a Turbo would sieze just because its not been used in a couple of months. Surely this isn't what you'd expect from a modern and fiarly new car.

Olsun

May 10, 2019
I had this same issue it started first with start stop error not working. Then random esc and att last my dsg mechatronic failed leaving me stranded. My car was automatic.

Skickat från min J9210 via Tapatalk

Reactions: ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
I had this same issue it started first with start stop error not working. Then random esc and att last my dsg mechatronic failed leaving me stranded. My car was automatic.

To be fair mine is running fine just a lack of power due to the turbo not working. The EPC light is on all the time but the Start Stop has started to stop :cop:. But the dash warning is gone for that.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Well took the car in and it was the Turbo Actuator that had siezed. He said they had a few of these and the part was on back order from the factory. However luckily they were able to strip mine, clean it and lubricate it and now its all good. Still find it hard to believe that on a modern car this could happen in the first place.

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Well took the car in and it was the Turbo Actuator that had siezed. He said they had a few of these and the part was on back order from the factory. However luckily they were able to strip mine, clean it and lubricate it and now its all good. Still find it hard to believe that on a modern car this could happen in the first place.
It can happen to any cars tbh. Cars can be modern but Seat ibiza is a low cost budget cars. This means it uses cheap parts to run.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Any machinery can seize if not used for a long time. Cars are designed to be driven, unfortunately you've just been unlucky. But that's what the warranty is for! Glad the dealership have managed to get things going again though.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
So like many of us my car has been sitting idle, apart for going shopping, in the driveway pretty much for the past 2 and a half months. I noticed recently there was an EPC error light on the dash and was getting a Stop Start error message when starting the car. I have noticed the past couple of times that the engine seems gutless and completely lacking in any power.

So I had to go to my work today to pick something up so called my local Seat dealer to see what needed to be done. I was told there have been a lot of people with the same issue. Apparently with the car sitting idle the turbo has siezed, which would explain the loss of power. It's booked in for next Thursday (the earliest I could make it) for a diagnostic check but they said the parts are on back order from Spain atm.

Has anyone else had this issue? I find it difficult to understand why a Turbo would sieze just because its not been used in a couple of months. Surely this isn't what you'd expect from a modern and fiarly new car.

Not unlucky.
Its a quite common occurrence as far as I know.
My 1.0TSI did this at 15000 miles when I parked it for 2 months. So did my 1.2 TSI at 26000 miles when I parked it for 4 months. Both times inside guarantee.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The Turbo Actuator replacement at SEAT dealers is £483 and didn't work on either of mine. Turbo replacement was the second attempt on each. I have no idea how much the new turbos cost.

BigO

Mar 5, 2018
My car is booked today to fix an issue with loss of power.

I've noticed it on a motorway drive to London where at high speed you could hear some "hissing" noise and a very poor throttle response and very jerky at low speeds.

Also, my hazard lights have started to come on randomly after parking the car and they come on after 10-20mins later. Happened 3 times now.

I have a feeling the dealership will just say "We didn't find any problems." Let's wait and see :)

Reactions: Mike Coulter

BigO

Mar 5, 2018
Update from yesterday:

The loss of power was due to a water pump. This makes sense since when I was in London the temperature was about 35 and that's when it was performing really bad.

The hazard light issue was fixed by replacing the bulbs... we'll see :D

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Update from yesterday:

The loss of power was due to a water pump. This makes sense since when I was in London the temperature was about 35 and that's when it was performing really bad.

The hazard light issue was fixed by replacing the bulbs... we'll see :D

By any chance was it the auxiliary charge air cooler pump? I had one of those go on my old GTD due to a wire de-soldering itself.

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
Rang SEAT breakdown, AA arrived within 30mins & plugged diagnostics in. Tried to free the actuator but it wasn’t having it. AA taking it to Hull riverside & SEAT assistance are trying to source a courtesy car. Could be without the Ibiza for some time :confused:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Ridiculous isn't it that you can't park your SEAT car for a few weeks and expect it to work when you come back?.
Having had this happen twice, I'm now having to fork out for an extended guarantee, so I can go away for a few months with peace of mind, and not pay for yet another new turbo when I get back?.

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
Riverside Hull confirmed new turbo needed. O rings are on back order, no estimated time for getting the car back! I'm awaiting Enterprise to deliver a car to me, couldn’t pick what car I wanted though

• Sad
Reactions: camelspyyder

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Just bit the bullet and paid for SEATs year 4 guarantee as the factory one is about to expire.
£173 is way less than the price of the actuator alone, let alone the turbo.

BigO

Mar 5, 2018
By any chance was it the auxiliary charge air cooler pump? I had one of those go on my old GTD due to a wire de-soldering itself.
Hey,

Sorry for the long reply.

On the paper it says "v188 charge air pump"

For the hazard light problem both back LED lamp units were replaced.

Thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.