EPC light on (dim) even when car not running and locked.

Joesith

Sep 18, 2016
Hi

Has anyone ever seen the above?

The car has a intermittent fault and just seen the EPC light is on permanently but dim when the car is locked and armed.

When the car is unlocked and decides it wants to run the light goes out.

I have tried the usual Google and youtube but no luck.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Does it happen after its rained?
Could be a moisture issue.

Sorry, thats all ive got. Vehicle electrics are like the dark art to me.

Reactions: iammooks

Joesith

Sep 18, 2016
Only noticed it tonight and it has been raining all day. I will have to wait for a day of being completely dry to see if it's still doing it.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I used to have the same issue on my old dash cluster, along with the backlight staying on now and again. As rich T said it only seemed to happen when it was damp inside the car. A few dry days and it would be fine.
Had to replace the dash cluster due multiple faults eventually and the new one hasn't done it. I wouldn't worry about it too much as it's only an LED so at low brightness it could stay illuminated for weeks without draining the battery.

Joesith

Sep 18, 2016
It'll soon be summer.
Carpets will be dry, warning lights will go out and doors will open and close again lol
Thanks for the advice. I will leave it as a trait and continue looking into the other problems.

Is there a guild here that points out the problematic areas that let in this moisture?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Is there a guild here that points out the problematic areas that let in this moisture?
95% of the time it will be the doors mate. The other 5% will be the pollen filter cover leaking.

Joesith

Sep 18, 2016
95% of the time it will be the doors mate. The other 5% will be the pollen filter cover leaking.
Excellent thanks mate. I did the doors a few years ago with sikaflex so will be inspecting the pollen filter area in the morning.
Please tell me they didn't put the ECU in that area!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Excellent thanks mate. I did the doors a few years ago with sikaflex so will be inspecting the pollen filter area in the morning.
Please tell me they didn't put the ECU in that area!
No worries, and no the ECU is the other side luckily.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
No worries, and no the ECU is the other side luckily.

...where there's a wiring loom cover where the seals degrade over time, eventually leaving you with a puddle on your carpet under the pedals because it seems nobody who designed the car in Spain realised that in other countries there's this thing called 'rain' and these things called 'leaves' and the 1cm long drain hole to the wheel arches they handily provided is going to do absolutely nothing to stop water and leaves collecting, destroying the seals and then finding the line of least resistance is down through the wiring harness, running the risk of royally messing up your electrics.

Sorry for the rant, but I bloody hated that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Joesith

Sep 18, 2016
Thank you. I had a look yesterday as it was dry and my tested fuel injectors came back.
It appears all tidy!

I did have a look and carpets are all dry. To the touch. Yeah when its been parked up a few days you get the guaranteed condensation on the front and rear screen.

Thinking as the cars 17years old it's possible a ground has gone somewhere causing the led to luminate ever so slightly. (Backfeed - least path of resistance)
How common are the ECUs on these cars for failure or at least some corrupted code?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members