ESP button

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
I think TCS is terrible... All it does is kill engine power when the wheels are spinning. I now turn it off religiously when its dry and half the time in the wet.

And dont even think of it in the snow :p Youll just spin and spin till the engine stalls - clevverrrrr!!! Ive heard it uses the brakes at low speeds, but ive never felt it. What a load of rubbish.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ed, you're commenting on the EDL - which will only work below 25mph when cornering - but it is rubbish

If all you're doing is wheelspinning I'd suggest a less binary approach to the throttle.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I found the EDL a complete waste of time, allegedly it's supposed to crudely emulate a diff lock when you get wheelspin below a certain speed by braking the offending wheel, but it never seemed to make any improvement in snow.

(What you really need is a set of winter tyres, conveniently I have a set for sale, see my sig :D )

The ESP system incorporates all of the ABS, EDL, TCS functions, with the addition of various additional sensors (lateral acceleration, yaw, steering input) and software.
On the Passat it also beeps away at you when it's activated, as if to say "stop driving like a tw@t", which I find quite annoying....

Ed - didn't you say the other day you's slap anyone who suggested you didn't use the throttle like an on/off switch :D

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Ed - didn't you say the other day you's slap anyone who suggested you didn't use the throttle like an on/off switch :D

Lol cheers for the reminder Muddy, but that was another thread and M0rk said it more cleverly so ill let him off :lol:

And its not when im accelerating when it irritates me, its when cornering tightly with slight understeer, the TCS cuts in, flashin away like it does and you keep slowing down which can then provoke the rear end to slip out as the weight keeps jolting forwards. The system has absolutely no finesse or delecateness to it.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
trouble is if TCS is cutting in - you turn it off, all that'll happen if the wheel continues to spin is you'll continue straight on

that's where the ESP is cool

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.