Ever wanted to sit in a corner and sob quietly.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
My ever loving phoned me up to say ‘Hello dear, the Steering has gone stiff and the charging light has come on, I heard a ‘dink ‘ sound just before it happened. I got to our friends house but it was hard getting round sharp bends. Being mechanically minded I said ‘Sounds like the drive belt has snapped ‘ Went up to friends house day later to have a gander, opened bonnet and sure enough I could see the belt was off the PAS pump pulley, howevergave belt a tug to find that it was intact so a closer inspection of drive belt pulleys revealed that a Pulley was missing, the alternator pulley. So drove car home put on stands and took alternator off, if you’ve never done it before it’s a swine.
So wrestled with fan, aircon pump most of the worlds plastic and screws to get alternator out, new pulley plonked on as old pulley found in under tray seized bearing being problem. Hung it all back together ( even more of a swine ) and road tested, all fine, took it out for second run, horrible squeal from under bonnet Causing me to have that feeling of being lower than snakes belly. Looked under bonnet to see black oil underneath the air intake tube from the inter cooler under the front offside wing and spread over the inner offside chassis rail. I felt sick as a dog so returned home slowly, once back bonnet up took off air pipe to see if oil was still coming out by running engine, nothing seen as engine revved up or dying down, checked belt and pulleys but nothing seen to indicate oil coming from engine, had a gander into the inter cooler inner pipe and could see oil there. Am I right in thinking this could be the turbo on the way out. As she is a 2003 car I can’t see spending wazoo’s of money on a turbo or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Oh as I was running down the road, as the engine revived up and down it had a Growling sound that lagged behind the rise and fall of the engine.note so you now understand the reason for the title of my missive.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Well with fingers and toes crossed which makes walking a trite difficult I think I have cured the problem obviously it’ll need a bit of settling down before I am happy but for now I will keep Roxy going. If anyone wants an alternator replaced please don’t ask me as saying NO does offend

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Hairline split in one pipe which I would imagine was pinged by the alternator pulley when it shot forward due to the tensioner pressure acting on the belt. I’d have thought that there would have been noise from the alternator when the pulley bearing seized but in this case not a thing until it pinged off.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
There are times when I feel the world is against me, having fixed the oil problem and took her nibs out for a drive the clip holding the plastic air pipe from the intercooler hose slipped allowing the PAS pump pulley to make a good inroad into destroying the placky pipe which I have tried to tape up but Tojo avail, it sounds like I’m strangling the cat on rev up and overrun. Anyone out there is Seat land got this particular plastic pipe which runs from front to rear on the offside of the engine held in place by rubber hoses on the front and rear. The car is a 2003 Seat Toledo 1.9 tdi 110ps.
if I open the bonnet many more times I’ll wear out the hinges☠️

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Took the errant boost pipe to Aladdin Body Services Telford Road Bicester Oxon. Tel No. 01869 243000 Spoke to Simon and Adrian who said they’d have a go at plastic wielding the crescent hole in the pipe when I explained trying to locate one was proving impossible.
Returned today and they had made a really neat repair to the pipe which I have since put back on our Toledo and road tested extensively, I can report all is perfect with the car and for a modest sum for the repair carried out.
Very very pleased to get her nibs back on the road again.
Andy G