Evil noise when turning hard right/left.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Word up all?

I've had a weird noise develop over the last week or two. When turning right or left, fairly sharp, I hear a rubber rubbing noise. Similar to the CV Boot squeak I've had one previous cars. It seems to grow louder under braking.

I hear it more when moving slowly, <10mph.. whether that's due to less road-noise or what, I'm not sure. It just does not sound healthy.

In addition to this, and I'm not sure if the problem is connected or what, but when applying the brakes to come to a halt from about 10mph, there is a nasty noise that seems to come from my front wheels as the wheel turns. Some point of the wheel revolution results in a metallic sounding grinding noise. It's not a constant sound, more as if the wheel passing a certain point and makes this sound.

Not a great description, I'm sure but my brakes are new. Less than 500 miles on them and they are bedded in.

Anyone got a clue? This is really bothering me.. in all honesty, the entire front end and steering rack feels "loose".

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I had problem as if steering rack was loose, moved wheel a bit and nothing happened while driving. made strange noises as slow speeds, bumping-grindy-thing. It turned out to be sterring arms had a bit of play in them! Replaced and all is well.

Last edited:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Thanks guys. Awesome advice. Will get it up on the ramps after work and take a peak.

I was supposed to be doing full sus. replace anyway for coilovers.. so, if this is the cause.. killing two birds with one stone.

amccan10

Feb 16, 2007
Wishaw
I've got a broken spring at the front of my car, sounds a bit like what you've described.
i've now got an excuse for some new suspension

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I'm going in circles, bud. I promised myself the GT-4 if/when I got the promotion at work. I got offered it on Monday, with effect from the 3rd Dec.

I initially thought it wasn't going to happen so I canned the GT-4 plans for the time being and got on with my slow LC.

But now there are more problems with odd noises; knocking and rubbing/squeaking sounds.. I think I'd rather repair it and move onto something faster, rarer and with better handling. Cue the GT-4. But then again, I go through phases of wanting different cars. The GT-4 appeals on a number of levels but my Leon does look so much nicer...

Incidentally.. Anyone recommend a budget set of shocks/springs to lower this LC by 30mm? If I'm selling it, I need it to be running well and I may as well lower it at the same time. Ta all.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Alright mate,

I see your having problems with your Leon, from the sounds of it, it may be the steering rack or the brakes discs have warped or maybe a spring/damper problem or may a mix of two of them.
But anyways, the real thing i mean to say is, if your going to swap in the car, swap it in with the damage, the dealer may not even spot the damage and will repair himself, or if he does spot it, deduct the amount need to repair the job and you still buy the car from them, either way you only lose the money in the trade value and not putting money into the Leon THEN selling it to them.
As Rik said, i would never really sell to a friend either, more problems than you expect from that, and friendships and property can be damaged in misunderstanding from what I have learnt from other people experiences.

But to be trueful, i still dont understand the reason to sell the Leon, its a better looker than the GT, and to be honest (i know you havent had the best of lucky with yours) the VAG group are alot more reliable than most jap cars I've known and heard about (Exception to Honda which are very good i heard)
Yes its slower and doesnt have the 4wd system of the GT, but lets be honest how long do you spend speeding around like a loony, heck how long can you drive around like a loony before you see a camera or old bill?
I think if your going to trade in for a GT do it now with the damage and let them deduct the amount to fix it, you may find they charge you less as your buying from them, but at least you pay in the new cars money and not out of your pocket before you get a GT.
Or do (what i think is the better option) get the car looked at proffesional to source the problem, if the suspension, change it to a GOOD set (Eibach, Weitech, KW, H&R) and keep the car, tweak the engine and be happy with it, safe in the knowledge (fingers crossed) the car will last out longer than a GT would before it needs more oil, fuel, parts, turbos, rusted bodypanels and etc.
Hey i might be biased, but then my next car is going to be a Nissan GT-R i think, so no enemy of jap motors, just know when its a good looking and fast jap.
You just own a good looking, in need of TLC to make it fast Leon!

My 2p worth anyway.... lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise