Evo magazine Leon FR group test (March 2007)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Thought this might interest a few Leon FR owners, this months Evo has just come through the letter box.
Hot hatch group test, New Civic Type R v Focus ST v Megane 226 v Leon FR v Astra VXR v Golf GTi.
They have strapped timing gear on all the cars, acceleration times, top speeds and track times.

:)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Haven't read it yet for actual verdicts, but it gets 4 stars, hits sixty in 6.9s and the ton in 17.7s.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
autoexpress did the same this week

it was a bit dull to read, but I think the mini won

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Just pulled mine out of todays post had a quick flick through..

3 & 1/2 stars:
Civic Type R (New one with 150bhp/ton)

4 Stars:
Leon FR (143bhp/ton)
Astra VXR (179Bhp/ton) joint with Focus ST (154Bhp/ton)

5 Stars:
Golf GTI (143bhp/ton)
Megane R26 (165Bhp/ton)

Track times (slowest to fastest around the track)
Focus (1.42.15)
Civic (1.41.45)
Golf (1.41.00)
Leon (1.40.00)
Astra (1.38.25)
Megane (1.36.05)

Leon had 17" wheels on it which evo said looked small and they didn't like the grey/black dashboard....

Shame they didn't fancy doing the test with a cupra... :whistle: :whistle:

They said there's some vid clips on the evo site, but I've not found them yet.

/just to add - they have a 2.0 TDI 140 on a long term test car, with full body kit, they are calling it the "Noisiest diesel I've ever heard!" :shrug:

Last edited:

GroovyBaby

any other details about the track and weather condition ?

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
Had my evo since Friday,but not had a proper look yet,due to a 15 month old boy causing chaos and mayhem lol.But have to say that the new Alfa is absolutely gorgeous.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Subjectivity

autoexpress did the same this week

it was a bit dull to read, but I think the mini won

The Civic won the Autoexpress test and came last in the Evo tests with pretty much the same cars on test.

I think the Leon was pretty well unrepresented as it came in standard trim when all the others had been fairly well specced up from the options list. Still think the Leon is the best looking 5 dr hot hatch you can buy unlike Evo.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This is a good result for Seat really... as if the FR can hold it's own against the other cars in the test, the Cupra must surely be able to take that one step further and better some of them?

Would be nice if they did the same test in a couple of months when the Cupra is on the roads.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
This is a good result for Seat really... as if the FR can hold it's own against the other cars in the test, the Cupra must surely be able to take that one step further and better some of them?

Would be nice if they did the same test in a couple of months when the Cupra is on the roads.

I totally agree... I mean if the FR is up there and mixing it with the new hot hatches, what is the Cupra going to be like :D

Looooooooovely :)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I got this mag this afternoon and have had a good read of the review and facts and figures from it... and I have to say, despite coming second from last, the FR comes out very well indeed!

Firstly, you have to remember that this isn't Seats flagship model, something I do wish Evo would have at least mentioned. Also it was the least powerful in the test in terms of bhp but was also the cheapest in the test too.

So considering all those things... I think the FR does very well. It shines above the new Type-R which Evo really don't rate. The chassis gets good comments, as does the engine and the handling overall. What gets me though is the engine and chassis is the same as the Golf GTi which they put as an equal, if different, winner to the overall test... yet the FR's rated much lower? If you look down the spec list the FR and GTi match on every single aspect... suspension, brakes, engine (power and torque), the lot.

In terms of lap times, the FR is a second quicker than the GTi with the TC off and comes in third overall, a full 2 seconds quicker than the Focus ST.

So what have VW done differently that makes the GTi so much better in Evo's eyes?

They rate the VXR and ST above the FR, which isn't surprising really considering this is a hot hatch review and both are faster and more focused. They rate the Megane above everything there, which again isn't surprising as it's a stunning performer and definitely the 'hottest' there. They rate the GTi on par with that as a less hot but better day-to-day prospect.

I just can't get my head around the GTi Vs FR thing though. Can anybody shed some light on this?

I just hope they do something similar when the Cupra is out!

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Our FR TDI is pretty loud. I quite like it, y'know it is meant to be a sporty car after all.

Agreed. If it sounded like a diesel then I'd mind, but seeing as it doesn't once on the move, I don't!

But I agree with all the comments. The FR isn't top of the range so it did very well. I also agree on how the Golf can be that much better than the Leon considering they are virtually identical. I suppose it must just be down to cabin quality, desirability and image.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
EVO did mention the cost but I think SEAT UK could have given a better spec car, 18inch alloys in particular which certainly help in the looks department.

The dissapointing thing is they will now test the Cupra with the S3, R32 etc even though it's priced in with the New Civic Type R, Focus ST, Golf GTi etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members