Excessive oil burning on a new car

Apr 27, 2023
Ireland
New 2.0 TDI ST FR Leon . I noticed a smell of fumes from the engine in the cabin after my first long journey .
the garage I bought it from wanted to look at it . They asked to check the oil . It was at the minimum level after 300 miles ( 5,000 Kms)
They could not get any smell of the fumes when they took it on a short 10 mile trip and topped up the oil .
Roll on 250 Kms later and the oil level is now again closer to half way than at maximum level . I am going to run it for another 500 kms and test again .
Seat say that it is normal to burn a 1/2 litre every 1000 kms ( 600 miles) . That is crazy . For every full of diesel I will be putting in 10- 20 euro of oil . What should I do if the garage say this is normal .
I had an ateca 1.6 desiel and it never took a drop of oil between services .

Nov 18, 2021
Try another garage, from my point of view is completely anormal.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2023
Ireland
I apprecia
Try another garage, from my point of view is completely anormal.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk
I appreciate the reply thank you . Should I look for a full diagnostic report or more . I feel they just topped it up in the hour I was there and left it at that . The new oil for MK4 is 508/509. From the internet has a green tinge colour to it . Would it be possible to see this . All I can see is black .
either way by next week I should be low in oil again . The car only has 3000 miles on it now in total

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
New 2.0 TDI ST FR Leon . I noticed a smell of fumes from the engine in the cabin after my first long journey .
the garage I bought it from wanted to look at it . They asked to check the oil . It was at the minimum level after 300 miles ( 5,000 Kms)
They could not get any smell of the fumes when they took it on a short 10 mile trip and topped up the oil .
Roll on 250 Kms later and the oil level is now again closer to half way than at maximum level . I am going to run it for another 500 kms and test again .
Seat say that it is normal to burn a 1/2 litre every 1000 kms ( 600 miles) . That is crazy . For every full of diesel I will be putting in 10- 20 euro of oil . What should I do if the garage say this is normal .
I had an ateca 1.6 desiel and it never took a drop of oil between services .
So from what you said, your car used 0.5L in 250km? It is about 1L to go from bottom of the dipstick to the full mark - so to top up from around midpoint would be 0.5L, in which time you did 250km.
Agree their 0.5L/1000km 'allowance' is poor but you would be at 2L/1000km at that rate!
They do have an official 'oil usage test' the garage can perform. Depending on how much you have to add in 500km time I would push Seat to conduct an oil usage test.
Something seems wrong to me.

Reactions: Pmckeown

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Have you checked there's no actual leaks? Could be something as simple as a cross-threaded drain plug, or breather hose not properly connected. Take it to another garage and ask them to get it up on a lift for you and check.

Reactions: Pmckeown
Apr 27, 2023
Ireland
Heading back to seat tomorrow for a check up . It seems to be steady now at the current level .
After 2300kms ( 1400 miles) since it was topped up, it is now roughly 1/2 way down the dip stick . So 4000-5000 Kms (3000 miles) would mean a low level oil light or there abouts .
Fumes have all but gone now so the main issues now is oil comsumption. It’s 200ml-250ml per fill up of desiel . Fuel consumption is still ok to good at 4.4L per 100 Kms .

Apr 27, 2023
Ireland
Had my first service at 15k and now thankfully it is not as bad as before . I’ve 7,000 Kms done since the first service and it is around the 1/2 way on the dip stick . ( 7000Kms/ 500 ml. So a massive improvement . Possibly engine burn in / possibly oil . At this rate it would get to its next service with 1 L of oil burning . This seems to be what others are reporting also on the pre 2020 version of the car .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.