Exeo Coolant Temperature

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Hi Guys

It's been a while since my last post, maybe 7 years or more! Any way I have just got my hands on an Exeo ST 2.0 TDI and I have noticed that it doesnt get up to what I would call operating temperature (90 degrees) on a journey of 20 miles so presume something is amiss.

First thought was the thermostat but a quick google suggests it might be some sort of non return valve in the cooling system. Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom?

Bought this car so I could stop spending my lunchtimes googling problems!

SEATA4

Nov 23, 2016
Make sure AC is off and ECON is on . You can then check to make sure the cooling fans are not running.

Last edited:

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
think it is 'normal' for the temps not to get to 90 on shorter runs (esp in winter)
seems to be an issue with the A4 B8s too.
some have seen improvement replacing the inline thermostat & return valve that runs between the engine and bulkhead.
they are contained in pipe 23 in the following diagram
http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...121/subcategory/121040/part_id/1402618/lang/e
I replaced the inline thermostat before, and it improved, but did not resolve it (i should have replaced the return valve to rule it out, but hindsight's great )
I believe replacing the Main Thermostat rarely improves the situation, and it's expensive (timewise/labour) as the Alternator and some of the intake needs to come off to change the thermostat.
my commute is 60 miles, and it does get up to temp after about 10 miles, but will drop to 75ish once i hit traffic

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Had my Exeo 2.0tdi ST for a couple of years now and had the inline thermostat changed 12 months go for this exact reason. My commute is 15 miles of A roads and when the outside temperature drops below 6 degrees the engine never sees a temperature much above the lowest level on the gauge. Changing the inline made no differece what so ever.
On a side note, I've also noticed the engine revs higher on tick over when the outside temp is beolw 6 degrees which makes me think the engine management is attempting to assist by raising the temperature up more quickly. Not only does this not work but it can be quite annoying.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.