Expansion Tanks.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
On Sunday my expansion/coolant tank decided to make a hole/split in it so when the car is up to the correct running temperature and pressure the coolant p:censored:s out of it.

Pricing up a new one just now and ive used Euro Car Parts and VW Spares, cross referenced my engine code/car year with the tanks, but the tanks showing have a bit for a sensor or something on the side. Would this matter? I want to order it from somewhere online as I can get it straight to my door and will be quicker than ordering it at my local dealer.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/S...60&1&75b7c0a98ed4e2a0a15453b3cf779f9e15278ae4

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=480

The part number on the VW Spares link matches up with the part number on vagcat.

Also I had to drive the car to get it home, the coolant tank was never dry. I had to use just water as I didnt have any coolant in the car. As soon as the temperature gauge started moving I stopped, let the car cool then refilled the coolant tank. Could there be any long term issues??

No sign of head gasket issues or anything.

Thanks In advance. I need a quick answer regarding the coolant tank.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
I would imagine that having the electrical connector on the side won't make any difference - but don't quote me ;)

Wouldn't expect any long-term issues provided the temperature didn't remain high for a long period of time.
:)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I would imagine that having the electrical connector on the side won't make any difference - but don't quote me ;)

Wouldn't expect any long-term issues provided the temperature didn't remain high for a long period of time.
:)

I was taking the gf back home just as I turned into her street the steam came from the tank because the level went below the min mark. The temp never went about 3/4's of the way up.

Got the gf's uncle up (qualified mechanic) to give it a look over and he checked for headgasket etc. Had to drive 20 miles home but I never let the temperature get high. As soon as it started moving from half way I pulled over and refilled the tank.

j.cavo

8 valves of pure power
Aug 6, 2009
Liverpool
nah think you'll be ok had the same issue with bmw and it got to 3/4 on the temp a few times but it was fine and no damage but just make sure it doesnt run dry if u have to use it

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
nah think you'll be ok had the same issue with bmw and it got to 3/4 on the temp a few times but it was fine and no damage but just make sure it doesnt run dry if u have to use it

I never let it run dry while driving and as soon as the gauge started to move I pulled over and turned the car off and let it cool, then refilled with water.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.